QS World University Rankings by Subject ‘featured, listed in the top 200 universities. Bangor University is one of the top 10 universities in the UK.
Location- Bangor, Wales, UK
Known for: Agricultural Forestry, Psychology, Environmental Studies, Linguistics, and Engineering, and for its’ fantastic location.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF): GOLD
History of Bangor University
On October 18, 1884, Bangor University began its journey as the University College of North Wales. The remarkable thing is that voluntary contributions by local people and others helped establish this university’s foundation. In 2007,
Don’t have much time to read? Watch this short video instead–
it finally became Bangor University. By gaining strength from its history and roots, the university today is committed to the highest quality of teaching, learning, and research. Their motto is “The Best Gift is Knowledge.” The location of Bangor is also attractive because it is close to the mountains and the sea.
Rankings and Achievements
- The QS World University Rankings by Subject featured 30 subjects, and for four of them, Bangor University is listed in the top 200 universities.
- The Research Excellence Framework in 2014 recognized that more than three-quarters of Bangor research is world-leading or internationally excellent.
- The students of Bangor University placed it 8th among the non-specialist universities in the UK and also gave it the 2nd position among Welsh universities.
- It was rated as GOLD in the TEF: Teaching Excellence Framework in 2017.
- Student Volunteering Bangor in October 2012 won the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service.
Why Bangor University?
- They achieved a GOLD award in the National Teaching Excellence Framework in 2017 for teaching quality, learning environment, student outcomes, and learning gain.
- One of the top 10 universities in the UK: The student satisfaction rate is 88%, which explains why this university is ranked in the top 10 in the UK.
- Variation in courses: There are hundreds of choices in subjects in the arts and sciences. For courses, lecturers, and teaching, they are in the top 10 in the country.
- World-class research: The research sector and its quality are famous for this university, and it is ranked in the top 40 in the UK.
- Work experience and placement: They provide valuable employability skills. Students can also take part in work placement year.
- Accommodation: This university accommodation was the best rated in the UK and its’ own Uni Student Choice Awards 2018 for this. They guarantee for 1st -year students for accommodation.
- Cost-free membership of all clubs and societies: More than 150 clubs and societies are free for the students to explore the local area.
- Attractive location: For the excellent view of the mountains and the sea. The university has been described as having “the best university setting in the UK.’
Undergraduates: Vice-Chancellor Scholarship will cover 50% of the Tuition Fee. All countries are eligible for this scholarship.
The Dean Scholarship: The value is up to £4,000. All countries are eligible for this.
International Scholarship: The Value is Up to £3,000. All countries are eligible for this scholarship.
Alumni/Existing Students/Family Discount: Students of all countries will get £1,000 per year in addition to the Bangor International Scholarship.
Postgraduate Taught Scholarships:
The Vice-Chancellor Scholarship will cover 50% of the tuition fee. All countries are eligible for this scholarship.
Professional Experience Scholarship: The value is up to £3,000. All countries are eligible for this scholarship.
Dean Scholarship 2020/21 intake: The value is up to £5,000. All countries are eligible for this.
International Scholarship 2020/21 intake-The value is up to £3,000. All countries are eligible for this scholarship.
Commonwealth Master’s Scholarship 2020 (from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries): This will cover the full tuition fee waiver, monthly stipend, return airfare, thesis grant, study travel grant, and warm clothing allowance where applicable, The eligible countries are: Antigua and Barbuda; Bangladesh; Belize; Botswana; Botswana; Cameroon; Dominica; Eswatini; Fiji; The Gambia; Ghana Grenadines; Tanzania; Tonga; Tuvalu; Uganda; Vanuatu; Zambia.
Chevening Universities (Wales) Scholarship for Vietnam: Full fee waiver. Vietnam is eligible for this.
Great Scholarships 2020: The value of this scholarship is £10,000. Eligible countries are China and Thailand.
Fulbright Award: This award is for a full tuition fee waiver and a stipend of £13,200. The USA is eligible only.
The value is £1,000, in addition to the Bangor International Scholarship. All countries are eligible.
The value of the Commonwealth Scholarship (MSc Tropical Forestry only) is £14,550+. Commonwealth countries are eligible.
Chevening Partnership Scholarship: It is a full fee waiver. All countries, excluding the USA, are eligible.
Commonwealth Shared Scholarship-This will cover full tuition, monthly stipend, and return airfare. East and Central African countries are eligible.
UUKi-BEC.AR Argentinian Scholarship Scheme: This is a full fee waiver. Argentina is eligible.
The type is a full fee waiver and a monthly stipend. This is for Peru only.
The Dean Scholarship: The value is up to £4,000. All countries are eligible for this.
International Scholarship: The value is up to £3,000. All countries are eligible for this.
The Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund (CCSF): These awards vary. Only Canada is eligible.
Country Scholarship 2019/20 Academic Year: The value is up to £12,000. Bangladesh; Cameroon; Egypt; Ghana; Nigeria; Pakistan; Turkey, and Vietnam are eligible countries.
Bangor International Scholarships for the 2019/20 Academic Year: The value is up to £4,000. All countries are eligible.
Alumni/Existing Students/Family Discount: £1,000 in addition to the Bangor International Scholarship. All countries are eligible.
China Scholarship Council: This is a full tuition fee waiver only for China.
Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships 2020 (for least developed countries and fragile states): full tuition fee waiver, monthly stipend, return airfare, thesis grant, study travel grant, provision towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas, paid mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country or family allowances, warm clothing allowance where applicable. Eligible countries are Bangladesh; Cameroon; The Gambia; Kenya; Kiribati; Lesotho; Malawi; Mozambique; Nigeria; Pakistan; Rwanda; Sierra Leone; Solomon Islands; Tanzania; Tuvalu; Uganda; Vanuatu; Zambia.
Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships (for low and middle-income countries): Approved tuition fees, monthly stipend, return airfare, warm clothing allowance where applicable, study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas Antigua and Barbuda, Bangladesh, Belize, Botswana, Cameroon, Dominica, Eswatini, Fiji, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, St Helena, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, The Gambia, Tonga, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia are eligible for this.
PRONABEC Scholarship: The type is a full fee waiver & monthly stipend, which is only for Peru.
The university provides different kinds of facilities to its students and staff. Below are some of the attractive services-
- CELT: Centre for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching: This center provides guidance and support to all academic activities, including student satisfaction, Open Educational Resources, the development and promotion of electronic and other innovative learning technologies, etc.
- Dyslexia: Miles Dyslexia Centre: This center supports dyslexic students within the university, trains the teachers of dyslexic students involved in teaching the primary and secondary sections, and provides all kinds of information related to dyslexia.
- ELCOS (English Language Centre for Overseas Students): The ELCOS center organizes English language courses and study skills for international students.
- Governance and Compliance: Legal compliance, student discipline, freedom of information, and various other governance and services are available in this office.
- Health & Safety: They provide safety, health, and environmental information to the students and staff.
- IT and Computing Services: IT equipment, technical IT services or project requests, IT security, and other IT-related services are available in this office.
- Sports and Leisure: This service provides students with sports, gyms, and leisure facilities.
- Student Engagement Unit: They invite the students to participate in academic programs, learning experiences, university development, and management. This helps increase students’ involvement and unite them by working closely with the Students’ Union.
Bangor University gives priority to its students and takes care of them. Some of the support systems are
- Accommodation-related issues like house-hunting support can be found in the housing office.
- There is a dedicated team to solve and guide students with money matters, visas, employability, etc.
- Student harassment, equality, sexual violence, hate crimes, racism, etc., are strictly handled by an expert student Equality and Diversity Officer. The specialized central contract is there for them.
- Interruptions to studies or any special withdrawal supports are there for students always.
Undergraduates- £14,500 to £16,800
Postgraduate Taught courses- £15,000 to £20,700
Postgraduate Research Courses- £14,500 to £20,800
How can I find out more?
Researching and applying for the right higher education course for you can be daunting, mainly if you are based internationally. A UK education consultancy, such as AHZ Associates, takes the stress out of the process and is here to help you every step of the way. Contact us to see how you can be one of the thousands of students we help to apply for UK universities successfully.