Our Free Student Admission Services

Our UK Student Services for admission are mainly structured for international and EU students. We also offer UK university admission services to home students with limited options. Check out our wide range of free services below.

Our UK Student Services for admission are mainly structured for international and EU students. We also offer UK university admission services to home students with limited options. Check out our wide range of free services below.

Book Your Appointment

At an international student’s initial stage, our experienced team will help and support you to find the right course and institute according to your future plans.

So we advise you to visit the Help and Support page to have a free consultation for your admission.

As an international student, you need to do plenty of research to select your desired subject and course. As you know, there are different types and levels of courses in the UK, like the International Foundation Programme, International Diploma, Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Research programmes.

As an international student in the initial stages, our experienced team will help and guide you to find the right course and institute according to your future plans. So we advise you to please book an appointment to have free one-to-one counselling for your admission.

As an international student, you should thoroughly research your prospective course, its requirements, deadlines, and course costs before you think about completing and submitting an application for a particular institute. After having fully researched the course you are interested in, make sure you now have the relevant information you need to apply.

• Course name, Application deadline, and funding deadlines
• The relevant required supporting documents (e.g., transcripts, CV, etc.) in pdf format to upload.
• Email addresses for your academic referees. You should ensure you have their consent before you apply.
• Students are requested to choose a subject and at least three institutes to consider their application.

Our partner institutes have the option for Scholarship applications for those who wish to apply for an international scholarship, and a member of the team will guide our students on how to make a scholarship application.

AHZ  recruitment policy is exceptional, and we always try our best to arrange a direct appointment with the institute’s representative in almost every case. We also arrange education fairs and open days for almost every intake, where students can directly meet university representatives and get course information and career guidelines.

Moreover, as we represent many prominent universities and colleges around the globe, admission enables us to provide students with a choice of course of study, fees, locations, etc. We provide online services to our students so that they can complete the necessary admission and visa procedures through an online portal.

Important Information

• General guideline for those considering applying for the next intake
• Entry requirements may vary from country to country and programme to programme.

Most of the Institutes follow the UK NARIC; some are specified for certain major subjects, grades, duration of courses, experience, English language requirements, and so on.

Entry requirements may vary between English-speaking countries and non-English-speaking countries and from institute to institute. We advise that you book an appointment to know your entry requirements.

We are representing more than 130 universities from across the UK. In most cases, our consultants try to answer all your inquiries, but if you wish to talk to an international admission officer of a partner university, we can make an arrangement for you. Please fill out the request a callback form and give a particular reason, and we will book an appointment for you.

If you are in an English-speaking country, you may need to show academic and financial evidence. Academic evidence will help you show your academic skills. And financial evidence makes you aware of how much funding you will be required to provide during your course of study.

If you are in a non-English-speaking country, you may require the following documents in addition:
• All your academic documents
• Your passport
• All previous visa copies and immigration history forms (if you studied before in the UK)
• UK educational documents (CAS/visa letter, enrollment/course completion letter, award certificate)
• personal statement or statement of purpose.
• CV (include phone number, Skype ID, present and previous address, next of kin, and references)
• At least one reference letter.

Once you have gathered relevant documents, please send them to our operational department at [email protected] with your application, and we will forward them to the relevant department to process your application further. Please note that submitting an application does not ensure confirmation of your acceptance.

If your educational certificate, bank statements, or any other important documents are not in English, you must provide a translation that can be verified by the Home Office. If you are using an overseas account, including a conversion of the amounts on your statements using http://www.oanda.com. It is acceptable to use overseas accounts when applying from inside and outside the UK.

In terms of higher education in the UK for international students, having an IELTS result is mandatory. Our adviser team can help you with various tips and information about IELTS preparation and the exam. Book an appointment with us for a free IELTS preparation session.

Tuition Fees

When applying for your visa, you only need to show funds for the first year of your course. If you have not paid any of your tuition fees, you will need to show that you have held the full amount in your bank account for 28 consecutive days from the closing balance of your bank statement.

If you have paid some of your tuition fees, this will show on your CAS statement, and you will only need to show the remaining amount of fees that you have to pay (If you have paid some of your fees and this is not shown on your CAS, reply to the emailed CAS statement to get this corrected before applying for your visa).

Postgraduate Research Funding

There are a number of sources of funding available for graduate Research students. There are Government-backed schemes such as the Professional and Career Development Loans (PCDL), and many private providers offer loans to students that help contribute towards tuition fees and living costs while they study. We would always encourage students to research the full range of options for funding and ensure that they are completely clear about what they are signing up for before they commit.

Sources of funding that might be worth investigating include:


Professional and Career Development Loans (PCDL) are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career or get you into work. You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000. Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate, and the government pays interest while you’re studying.

Providers, such as Future Finance, offer loans to cover tuition fees and the costs of living, with variable interest rates depending on your credit history. Loans generally have arrangement fees and may require a guarantor. Repayments may start before you have graduated from your course, and where this is the case, you must ensure that you are able to meet the loan repayments in addition to meeting all of your other course and living costs.

In relation to loans, AHZ  does not endorse or recommend any particular companies or products, and it is important to check all details and terms and conditions before applying for or taking out a loan, ensuring that you are aware of repayment schedules, interest rates, and other charges that might be applied.

Living Cost

You must have a fixed amount of money to cover your living costs. If you will be studying inside London*, you will need £1,265 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of nine months, which will be accounted for at £11,385. This means that if you will be studying in inner London for a course that lasts only one month, the minimum amount that you will need is £1,265.

If you will be studying elsewhere (outside London) in the UK, the monthly amounts are lower: you need to have £1,015 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of £9,135 for a course lasting nine months or more.

The money must have been in the account for a minimum period of 28 consecutive days up to the date of the closing balance. The account must not have dropped below the amount required at any time during the 28-day period. Also, the final date of this 28-day period must not be more than 31 days before the immigration application is made.

* Inside London is defined as the following London boroughs: Camden; City of London; Hackney; Hammersmith and Fulham; Haringey; Islington; Kensington and Chelsea; Lambeth; Lewisham; Newham; Southwark; Tower Hamlets; Wandsworth; Westminster. You can check which borough your institution is in by entering the postcode of the main study address at aboutmyvote.co.uk If your institution is not in one of the boroughs listed, then you will be studying in outer London or elsewhere in the UK.

*  Pieces of information are collected from the UKCISA official website.

Application stage:

  • Application submission with supporting documents
  • Interview
  • COL (Conditional Offer Letter) [It means there are certain conditions you need to meet to get approval for the next stage.]
  • UOL (Unconditional Offer Letter) [At this stage, you need to show your maintenance fund with bank statements and finally pay your tuition fees to get approval for the next step.]
  • CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) [Once you make the payment, university compliance will do the final review to issue the CAS statement.]

Moreover, as an applicant, you need to check your CAS (without any errors) and all other relevant documents before you apply for a visa.

Every international student has to go through an interview process while submitting the visa application, and it is crucial for them to be prepared for it. We have an expert interview management team for the students who are applying for a Tier 4 student visa. We provide valuable tips and information about the interview and arrange a mock interview before the visa submission.


How you apply depends on the country you are applying from and where your visa application will be processed. The following sections explain how to apply from both inside and outside the UK.

  • We strongly recommend having a photocopy of all documents before you apply for a visa.
  • You can apply up to three months before the start date of your programme. This is the earliest that you can apply (you can apply later). It currently costs about £310 to apply for a Tier-4 visa outside the UK, £422 within the UK standard method, and £822 within the UK premium method.
  • Apply for a Tier-4 student visa; make sure you provide all evidence that is required for your application, including your CAS statement (Maintenance fund and English language test certificate if you need them).

Where can I apply?

You apply to the country where you are living. If you are just visiting another country, you will have to return home to apply for Tier 4. Check the Home Office website to find out where to apply in your country.


If you require our help, please book an appointment with our experienced team, and our members will help and guide you to follow UKVI’s latest visa application procedures.

Once you meet all the requirements and the university accepts your application, you are required to apply for a student visa in order to study in the UK. To learn more, visit: https://www.gov.uk/student-visa

The immigration health surcharge is a financial contribution to the UK’s National Health Service. You will pay the surcharge if you are a non-EEA national and are granted immigration permission to enter the UK to study for a time-limited period of more than six months. You will also need to pay it if you are a non-EEA national who is already in the UK and you wish to apply to extend your stay.

You will pay the charge when you make your application. The charge is applied to immigration applications made on or after April 6, 2015. The cost is £300 per year for a student or Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa, for example, £600 for a 2-year visa. Further information is available on the Home Office pages of the Gov.

UK Website: https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/overview

Your personal statement is very important, as it is read by the institute’s admission officer to give you the offer that you applied for! So please follow the following link or attachment and write at least 500 words.


Invalid application: There are several reasons that would make your application invalid. For example, Picture size, forget about the signature on the cover sheet, submit supporting documents on time, and so on.

Refusal: As you know, you will no longer be eligible for the right to appeal. However, you may be eligible for an Administrative review.

Error on visa copy: When you receive your visa from the Home Office, check that the following information is correct: the Sponsor licence number, the full amount of time, and your working condition.


The programme of study is 12 months or longer; you will be granted until the end of your programme plus four months.

The programme of study is 6–12 months; you will be granted until the end of your programme plus two months.

Planning your trip to the UK is exciting, but there is a lot to think about!

Documents you need to bring include:

  • Your passport, with a valid visa if you need one (see Visas);
  • Travel itinerary and tickets.
  • A letter of acceptance from your school, college, or university;
  • Recent bank statements (and proof of your scholarship, if you have one, or a sponsor’s letter), as you may be asked for evidence that you can cover your tuition and accommodation fees;
  • Originals (or certified true copies) of any degree certificates or technical qualifications;
  • If you’re bringing any prescribed medication with you, bring a letter from your doctor explaining what it is for.

Additional information:

  • When you’re travelling, bring the address of your new school, college, or university, plus the telephone number and, ideally, the name of a member of staff. This way, you can reach help quickly if you need it.
  • You are likely to need health and travel insurance. There are many companies specialising in international student insurance. Make sure you are covered if you need to be. Ask your school, college, or university for advice; they may offer a special insurance policy for their students. For information about vaccinations and other health-related considerations, see our Health article.
  • Check with your airline to see what you can bring with you. Most airlines charge for excess baggage.
  • Leave plenty of time to check in and pass through security control before boarding connecting flights; there can be long queues.
  • If you need help once you arrive in the UK, ask at an official tourist information office or information desk. There should be one at every airport.
  • Make sure you bring warm clothes with you. It might be cold on the trip—or when you arrive! If it’s winter, bring a thick sweater and a warm coat too.
  • Security at international airports is strict. Find out more about customs restrictions on the gov.uk website, and read the ten tips below to be prepared for border control.
  • For your journey, you may need money for public transport, food, and customs charges. Bring around £200 in travellers’ checks for this. International airports in the UK also have money exchange services and ATMs to withdraw cash in British pound Sterling with a compatible debit or credit card.

Arriving at the airport

When you arrive at the airport, follow the signs for ‘Arrivals, unless you are transferring to another plane at the same airport. If you are transferring to another flight, follow the ‘Flight Connections signs.

‘Arrivals’ will take you to passport control. Here, electronic screens will show you where to go; there are usually separate queues for passengers who have passports from the UK, EEA (European Economic Area), or Switzerland and for all other passport holders. Once you have completed the immigration process (see the UKCISA website for more details about immigration and customs), you’ll proceed to the baggage reclaim area to collect your luggage. Look at the screens above the baggage carousels to find your flight number.

Finally, you’ll pass through Customs Control. At UK airports, there are normally three exits through Customs: a green channel if you are travelling from outside the EEA and have nothing to declare; a red channel if you are travelling from outside the EEA and have goods to declare; and a blue channel if you’ve arrived from another airport within the EEA. Follow the links below to check what items should be declared.

The Border Force (part of the UK government’s Home Office) is responsible for immigration and customs checks at airports. These are Border Force’s top tips for a smooth journey:

  • Have your passport ready.
  • Ensure you complete a landing card if you’re a non-EEA (European Economic Area) national. Landing cards are sometimes given out on the plane, or you can find them in the immigration hall.
  • Bring details about your course of study. If you have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number, bring proof of this too.
  • Keep any medical documentation, recent bank statements, and details of where you are staying in your hand luggage. You may be asked to show this information.
  • Do not bring any meat or dairy products from outside the European Union. There are also restrictions on other food products such as fish, eggs, and honey, as well as some fruit, vegetables, and plants (e.g., bulbs, seeds, cut flowers, and tree bark). You can find out more at https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-animals-plants-into-uk/food
    There are restrictions on the amount of tobacco, alcohol, and gifts you can bring to the UK. You can find out more at https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods.
  • Be aware of your duty-free limit. If you exceed your allowance, you will have to declare it and pay duty at customs (go through the ‘red channel’); otherwise, all of your items may be taken away from you.
  • Never bring in counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, weapons, or obscene material. Some items are restricted and will require a licence or permit. You can find out more at www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/banned-and-restricted-goods.
  • You must declare any sums of cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you are travelling from a country outside the European Union.
  • Never give false or misleading information (including forged or counterfeit documents).

Transport from the airport

With more than 40 airports plus an extensive network of rail, ferry, and coach links, the UK has an excellent transport system.

Your school, college, or university may arrange to pick you up from the airport when you arrive. If not, aim to arrive during the day, when public transport is more frequent. For trains and buses from the airport, you can save time and money by booking tickets in advance.

You can find out more about transport options on the airport’s website. For example:

  • Heathrow Airport
  • Gatwick Airport
  • Stansted Airport
  • London Luton Airport
  • Manchester Airport
  • Birmingham Airport
  • Edinburgh Airport
  • Glasgow Airport

See “Travel in the UK” for more information.

We have experts who have been attending the UCAS International Teachers and Advisers Conference regularly since 2015. Our consultants are well-trained by UCAS. Therefore, we have all the updated information, and if any student needs assistance with their UCAS application, we are delighted to help.

Our continuous service includes all types of support for a new student. It is worth mentioning that after entering the United Kingdom, new students face many difficulties in adjusting themselves. Our experts will be dedicated to providing all types of assistance required.

As an agent, we will be happy to direct you to your sponsoring institute. If you are flying to the United Kingdom and need airport pick-up, please contact us at least 48 hours before.

If you would like to take London Underground facilities to your destination, please visit – www.tfl.gov.uk

If you are planning to use the bus for your journey, please visit – www.tfl.gov.uk/bus

You can book a taxi in advance from Heathrow Airport. In order to do that and find relevant information about travelling from the airport to your destination, please visit the following website:

It is true that when a new student arrives in the United Kingdom, it is very hard to manage his accommodations. For an international student, it is difficult to select a location, price, and a suitable house as well. Moreover, If you would like to share accommodation with someone known or unknown, you must consider whether it is suitable for you or not.

As a new student in the United Kingdom, if you require temporary accommodation for a short period, please contact us via mail at least two weeks in advance, and we will confirm it soon. Please abide by the citizen advice bureau’s recommendations in order to rent the property:

Renting from a letting agency :


You can find private landlord-owned housing with the aid of a letting agency. Some will help you simply find accommodation, but many letting agencies manage properties on behalf of landlords, which means that you may have no direct contact with your landlord.

This fact sheet provides you with information on what charges a letting agency can make and a checklist of questions you should ask before registering with an agency and signing a tenancy agreement.

Using a letting agency

It is best to use an agency that is a member of a voluntary self-regulating trade body, as they will require the agency to have a complaints procedure and money protection arrangements. This means that if the agency goes out of business, you will not lose your money.

The main trade bodies are:

  • Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA)
  • National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA)
  • Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)

If the agency is not a member of a trade body, find out whether it participates in a set of standards known as the National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS). These standards include a complaint procedure that you can use. ARLA and NALS are both members of The Property Ombudsman Scheme.

For contact details of the above organisations, see Further Help. You can also look out for agencies that have the Safe Agent registered mark. This means that your money will be protected through a client money protection scheme. More information is available from the Safe Agent website at www.safeagents.co.uk.

What a letting agency cannot charge for:

  • to register with the agency
  • for a list of properties available for rent.
  • a deposit that will be returned to you if it does not find you a suitable property.

It is a criminal offence for an agency to make these charges. If you have paid any of these charges, you should contact your local council´s Trading Standards Officer or Tenancy Relations Officer, who can take action against the agency.

What a letting agency can charge you for

  • an unlimited fee once you have signed a contract to accept a tenancy. You must have agreed to the tenancy before the agency can charge you.

Administration fees

Many agencies will charge you an administration fee. This fee may cover things like the cost of preparing the tenancy agreement, checking references, making up the inventory, and any other costs of setting up the tenancy. Many agencies will charge you for renewing your tenancy agreement once it expires.

It is best to shop around because not all agencies make these charges, and the amounts can vary between agencies. If you are receiving housing benefits, they will not pay for these fees.

The agency should provide you with clear information about their charges before you agree to take up a tenancy. Charges should also be reasonable. If you have paid unreasonably high charges or were not given full details of the charges by the agency in advance, you may be able to challenge the charges on the grounds that they are unfair. You should contact a specialist housing adviser or your local council´s trading standards officer for further advice.

A non-returnable holding deposit

This is charged when you agree to rent a property but have not yet signed the tenancy agreement. This deposit is usually deducted from the security deposit when you move in. You should make sure that you want to take up the tenancy because if you change your mind, your holding deposit will not be returned

There may be circumstances when you are not able to move into the property for reasons beyond your control; for example, your reference was not satisfactory or the agency has increased the rent. In these circumstances, it may be unfair for the agency not to return your holding deposit. You should seek advice if this happens to you.

If you have paid an administration fee and/or a holding deposit and the landlord chooses not to go ahead with the tenancy, the Office of Fair Trading Guidance states that you should receive a refund of all pre-payments. If the agency will not return your payments, you should seek advice.

3 Advice guide (Advice that makes a difference)

Security deposit:

This is charged as security against damage to the property or getting into rent arrears. It should be returned to you at the end of your tenancy if you have not breached your tenancy agreement.

An agent who charges you a security deposit for an assured shorthold tenancy on or after April 6, 2007 must protect it in one of the three government-approved schemes and provide you with details of the scheme.

The schemes are the Deposit Protection Scheme, the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, and ´my deposits´.

You should agree with the agent on what condition the property is in when you start renting it, including a list of the furniture and fittings (known as the inventory). This should help stop any disagreements at the end of the tenancy. For more information about security deposits, see Tenancy Deposits in Housing fact sheets.

A checklist of points you should ask the letting agency before registering with them. You should find out the following information from an agency before registering with them to avoid future problems:

  • details of the services it provides
  • full details of the charges it makes.
  • whether it is a member of a trade body such as ARLA, NAEA, RICS, or NALS, as it must have a complaints procedure and protect your money if the agency goes out of business.
  • whether the agency has a complaints procedure and whether it is a member of The Property Ombudsman Scheme.
  • Details of the tenancy deposit protection scheme and its uses

4 Advice guide
Advice that makes a difference

  • Whether the landlord has the lender´s permission to rent out the property. If not, you could be evicted with minimal notice if your landlord gets into arrears with their mortgage and the property is repossessed.
  • the procedure for getting repairs done.

Further help

Voluntary self-regulating trade bodies Further information about the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) can be found on their website at www.arla.co.uk. You can also carry out a search to find letting agents who are members of ARLA in the area where you live.

Further information about the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) can be found on their website at www.naea.co.uk. Further information about the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) can be found on their website at www.rics.org.

National Approved Letting Scheme

Further information about the National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS) can be found on their website at www.nalscheme.co.uk.

The Property Ombudsman

Further information about The Property Ombudsman can be found on its website at www.tpos.co.uk. Letting agents who are members of The Property Ombudsman Scheme have to follow a Code of Practice, which is also available from the website at www.tpos.co.uk.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureau gives free, confidential, impartial and independent advice to help you solve problems. Other information on Adviceguide which might help

  • Finding accommodation
  • Renting from a private landlord
  • Common problems with renting
  • Getting repairs done while renting

This fact sheet is produced by Citizens Advice, an operating name of The National Association of Citizens Advice Bureau. It is intended to provide general information only and should not be taken as a full statement of the law. The information applies to England and Wales only. (Referencing the Citizen Advice Bureau)

If you are a student in the United Kingdom, you would receive a 30% discount on your journey, subject to having a validated student Oyster card. There are two types of student oyster cards, depending on age.

If you are a student and are under the age limit of 16 to 18 or 18+, please visit the official website to apply for the student oyster card.

It is mentionable that if you would like to apply for your discount Oyster card, you must enrol in your course, and then you can apply.

  • With a school, college, or university that’s registered on the TfL scheme.
  • On a mandatory work placement in London.
  • On an eligible full-time or part-time course

To have an ID, you will need – A colour digital photo to upload; Your student enrollment ID from your school, college, or university, Your course start and end dates, A credit or debit card to pay the £20 administration fee, and a valid email address.

More information please visit:

To adjust to the social and economic life in the United Kingdom, you may need to open a bank account with a regulatory financial institution. If you have a bank account, it could make your life easier to pay for any online payments or shopping.

If you are going to be studying in the UK for a while, you will need to open a bank account. You should do this as soon as possible, ideally with a bank on campus or nearby. Many banks offer special student facilities and have financial advisers to help you organise your account.

When you open your international student bank account, you will need:

  • your passport.
  • a letter of acceptance from your place of study.
  • proof of your address at home and in the UK.
  • reference and statements from your home bank.

Most banks in the UK are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, with some opening on Saturday mornings. If you have a debit or credit Visa card for your account, you can use a cash machine 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Many banks in the UK also offer online banking, which you may prefer to use. But if you have a debit card, you may use it for any type of transaction anywhere.

Before travelling to the UK

Ask your college or university what your options are for paying fees, so you´ll know what facilities you´ll need. You should then contact your bank at home and ask:

  • How you should transfer your money to the UK.
  • about running a bank account in the UK.
  • whether your bank has a special relationship with any UK banks.
  • whether you can use cash cards from your home bank in cash machines in the UK.

Managing your international student bank account

It is important not to overspend on your account, as your bank will charge you if you go overdrawn. If you think you need more money than you have in your account, speak to your bank´s student adviser about arranging an overdraft. If you need more support to open a bank account, please contact one of our special advisers.

Many students are visiting our website from outside the UK, and there might be a time difference between the two countries. We took this into consideration and developed a 24/7 response to an inquiry for all the students across the globe. So, if you have any questions to ask, use our online platform, and we will respond to you in real time.

if you have one of the following options, you can leave us a text at: +447828523680

WhatsApp, Viber, and IMO; other links to contact us as follows:

skype: ahzassociates

Facebook link: facebook.com/ahz.associates

Any service we provide for students is completely free of charge. All our services are provided by highly qualified professionals, and we provide one of the quickest UK admission services in the UK. If you have any inquiries about our student services, you can book an appointment with one of our advisers, request a callback, or visit our head office in London. Our contact details are below.

Unit-2.15 East London Works, 65 Whitechapel Road, London, E1 1DU
Phone: +4427377 9630
Mobile: +4478 2856 0202, +4478 2852 3680
Email: [email protected][email protected]