Known for its centuries-old and transcendent education system, the UK has always been a popular choice amongst students from around the world who want to pursue UK higher education with interesting facts from sterling institutions. The UK’s past is rich with riveting facts for UK students. Incredible historical sites can be found around every corner, giving the impression that this is a nation that has seen and experienced many interesting eras.
Don’t have much time to read? Watch this short video instead–
Riveting facts for UK students in university life
Despite its popularity and the countless data points that are readily available in the advanced world of today, there is a lot about the UK that is not common knowledge. However, having the proper knowledge is imperative for students so they can know precisely what they are getting into. Thus, we have compiled a few facts that students who want to pursue higher education in the UK can mull over. These UK facts for university students will help them decide whether the UK is the right choice for them and will make them feel a sense of belonging and pride in being part of something so miraculous. Have a look!
Between 2016 and 2017, there was a total number of 2,317,880 students in the UK (not inclusive of Wales) who were pursuing their higher education. (Source: Higher Education Statistics Agency)
Out of the total number of students, there were:
- Undergraduate students: 1.76 million
- Postgraduate students: 551,585
- Studying full time: 1.80 million
- Studying part-time: 518,930
- UK residents: 1.87 million
- Belonged to the EU: 134,835
- Belonged to non-EU countries: 307,540
- Of the total number of students pursuing their higher education in the UK, 14% of undergraduates and 38% of postgraduates were international students. (Source: Universities UK).
- One of the best and oldest universities in the English-speaking world is the University of Oxford. While there is no fixed date known as to when Oxford University was exactly established, it is said to be nearly a millennium old as the oldest records linked to the university are said to belong to the year 1096. The university consists of 38 colleges and has around 100 academic departments.
- Student satisfaction amongst higher education students was said to be valued at 84%. (Source: National Student Survey, 2017)
- Between 2016 and 2017, 57% of all students studying in higher education institutions in the UK were female. (Source: Department of Education).
- One of the most interesting facts about UK universities is that Business studies is the most well-liked topic among international students in the UK. Social studies, medicine, and the arts are among the other most popular topics in the UK. Recent figures show that 127,335 international students were studying for business and administrative studies degrees in the UK. As a result, business studies is one of the most sought-after majors among overseas students. However, there were 43,145 international students enrolled in social studies overall.
- The most recent HESA statistics show that 94,200 international students from other EU nations are enrolled full-time in undergraduate programs in the UK. At the same level of study, there are also 160,135 international students from countries outside the EU. In full-time postgraduate programs, there are 34,910 international students from the EU enrolled, compared to 159,430 students from outside the UK at the same level of study.
- Asia is the continent that sends the most students to study in the UK, surpassing Europe in this category. 44% of all current international students in the UK are from Asia. More than 40,000 students are enrolled in higher education in China, which is followed by Hong Kong, India, and Malaysia. Clearly, there is a strong reason why so many students continue to select the UK for their higher education.
- Some of the most unique degrees are offered in the UK. Although UK universities are renowned for providing some of the greatest and most prestigious degrees available, there are also a number of somewhat unique courses that are open to students. For instance, there are a variety of unique options that other nations simply don’t provide, such as ethical hacking, surf science and technology, puppetry design and performance, or even flower design. Unknown study information on the UK may include this.
- The three categories under which UK universities are categorized are polytechnic or metropolitan, ancient, and Russell group. For instance, the Russell group only includes 24 universities. Prestigious universities like Cambridge, Oxford, and Newcastle are all members, and they all pledge to conduct industry-leading research and provide all students with great educational opportunities. You have a lot of fantastic possibilities, so the decision is entirely up to you. Each has benefits and drawbacks.
- Being a member of a select few that can genuinely alter the course of history via research and innovation would be an honor. The UK distinguishes out in this respect. Additionally, 54% of all research produced by UK universities is rated as either being of the highest quality globally or as being among the best in the world. The UK is generally seen as a country with abundant research capacity. That’s a fantastic reputation to have, and you may participate in it to your advantage. In the UK, there are many cities with a strong emphasis on creativity and innovation. For instance, the electric light bulb, the first turbine-driven ship, and even the first locomotive, which eventually sparked the industrial revolution, were all created in Newcastle.
- The UK is the most frequently suggested location for overseas students. One of the most frequently cited responses is that the UK has world-class lecturers who are leaders in research and discovery. Modern laboratories were another well-liked response, in addition. Finding out why is simple. In addition to having a wonderful diversity of ethnicities, cultures, and religious beliefs, it is an English-speaking nation with outstanding professional opportunities. It should come as no surprise that so many overseas students choose the UK and tell others about their wonderful experiences there.
- The entire tuition for bachelor’s degree programs in the UK was paid for by a government loan from the British government. The postgraduate loan of 11.222 pounds, which is currently in effect, also provides assistance to masters students. It is one of the UK’s most riveting research facts. Both of them must be paid back only after graduation and only based on the student’s work wage. Your education counselor will assist you in understanding all the information and submitting qualified applications by the deadline.
Overall, it can be said that the UK is a magnet for international students due to its top-notch universities, first-rate instructional strategies, and unrivaled multiculturalism. Undoubtedly, it is crucial to consider matters before traveling that are overlooked or forgotten only before departure.
Out of the thousands of fascinating UK facts for students, these five were the ones that stood out the most. However, there is so much more about the UK that makes it an excellent option for students who want to pursue quality higher education, such as their rich history, untrammeled culture, advancement in society, and quality of life.
What is unique about studying in the UK?
An excellent place to study abroad is the UK. It’s a destination where you may learn about other cultures and get international experience thanks to its distinctive and rich culture, wonderful architecture, and breathtaking landscape. There are numerous universities in the UK that offer courses that are taught in both Welsh and English.
What are the benefits of studying in UK?
High-Quality Education Opportunities
Internationally Recognized Universities
Support for the English language
Work during your studies and receive a work permit afterward
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Strong infrastructure supporting research
Is UK is Good for Study?
British higher education institutions are renowned worldwide for their innovative and demanding settings that encourage students to perform at their highest levels.
Why international students choose UK?
In fact, the UK is the second most sought-after location worldwide for international students. Because of this diversity, several cultures are present on our campuses. You get the opportunity to interact with people from all over the world and learn a great deal more than just what is required for your degree.
Why UK is better than other countries for study?
In comparison to other countries, the UK offers a quicker path to a degree. High academic standards are renowned throughout the UK. So wherever you go, be sure to have a job! There are numerous scholarships and grants available for overseas students that you can utilize.
Is UK a Safe Country to Study?
One of the world’s safest places to travel is the United Kingdom. You will be welcomed with open arms in Wales and in Cardiff.
What is it like to study in the UK?
The United Kingdom, which might be made up of England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland, is home to several historic cities. The best part is that there is no language barrier, which makes it simpler to meet people, form friendships, and succeed academically. It’s also a fantastic location for high school students to study abroad!