Overview of Solent University
The Solent University is a leading research-based public university situated in Southampton, England. Students get real world experience with the industry-led curriculums which make an Impact in their future. The university undertakes the motto ‘Ready for the future’. Thus, students get the opportunity with a wide range of creative as well as exciting undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. Especially, The Warsash Maritime School is a lucrative part of the Solent University situated next to the sea. Besides, the excellence of the academic field, the University aims to make the student potential as well as a future leader.
Therefore, the University students are lucky enough to get state-of-the-art facilities within the stunning study environment. Students from different countries come across personalized support from new study partners and build up a strong international link. The excellent Award-winning teaching quality with expert tutors and modern technology catches the sight of everyone. The Solent University receives a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework.
The origin of The Solent University was found in 1856. At that time it became known as the Southampton College of Art. in 1984, with the amalgamation of the Southampton College of Technology and the College of Nautical Studies created the Southampton Institute of Higher Education. This unique institution was given university status by adopting the name Southampton Solent University on15 August, in 2005.
Ranking and Achievements
- The Solent University wins the ‘Most Improved Student Experience’ in the Times Higher Education Award- 2015
- Solent’s Showcase Gallery’s Small Faces Exhibition secured regional Pride Community Relations award in the year of 2017
- Ranked 93rd in the Times University Guide 2021
- Ranked74th in the Guardian University Guide 2021
- The Solent became the four-star rated University and five stars for teaching quality, internationalization, employability, facilities, and inclusiveness in the QS World University Rankings 2019.
- It is among the top 25 universities in the UK ranked for Student Voice, Academic Support, and Learning Community.
- Ranked 4th in the sector for graduate start-ups
- The university’s yachting team wins the Student Yachting World Cup in the years 2004 and 2010.
- The Student Yachting team also wins the student national competition eight times.
The Solent University, Southampton as well as Warsash Maritime faculty has multiple undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
The faculties are given below:
- The school of Art, Design and Fashion,
- The school of Business, Law and Communications,
- The school of Media, Arts and Technology
- The school of Sport, Health, and Social Sciences.
Some of the major Courses are as follows:
- Architecture and Construction
- Art and Design
- Business, Marketing, and Finance
- Digital Art, Animation, Games, and VFX
- English and Journalism
- Fashion and Beauty
- Film, TV, Media Production and Technology
- Health and Medical Sciences
- Music and Performing Arts
- Psychology and Mental Health
- Social work, Criminology, and Sociology
- Sport and Fitness
- Applied AI and Data Science (Post Graduate)
- Clinical Exercise Science (Post Graduate)
- Architectural Project Management (Post Graduate)
- Public Relations and Multimedia Communications (Post Graduate), and so on.
- Undergraduate – 93%
- Postgraduate – 7%
- Full-time students – 90%
- Part-time students – 10%
- UK/EU students – 87.2%
- International students – 12.8%
- Female – 44%
- Male – 56%
The international tuition fee is £11,660- £16,000
- Undergraduate Academic Merit Scholarship (UAMS)
- Direct Entry Academic Merit Scholarship(DAMS)
- International Academic Merit Scholarship(IAMS)- EU/EEA students
- Postgraduate Taught Academic Merit Scholarship(PAMS)
- Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships-International non-EU students
- Dean’s Scholarships-International non-EU students
- Sport scholarship
- Fee waiver for Syrian refugees
- Solent Sanctuary Scholarship
- Lisa Wilson Scholarship
- Scholarships for MSc Applied AI and Data Science
- International Academic Merit Scholarships (IAMS)-Overseas/international students(non-EU)
Facilities and Services
Services of The Solent University are not limited to the students only, in addition, the institution provides several services for the university that it is associated with.
Services for the university are as follows:
- The modern subject-specific technology and equipment facility.
- A well-equipped library facility full of electronic resources and printed resources.
- Latest audio-visual materials and online tutorials.
- A unique and safe study space as well as computer space.
- Students who are struggling with learning difficulties or physical impairments get special support from The Access Solent team.
- Support for care leavers especially for the student belongs to local authority care.
- The five storied Spark building with features classrooms facilitate lecture discussions.
Solent Students’ Union is the mouthpiece of students that takes every necessary initiative for students’ well-fare. The Union works passionately from the fresher’s week to Alumni night. The Student Hub is a central space where students can ask for any query or need. Students can find all kinds of assistance including courses, timetables, assessments, or other circumstances.
Therefore, some official documents are turned up by the Student Hub like letters, council certificates, campus cards, references, policy advice, and so on. Student finances run by The Student funding team including money management, budgeting advice, accessing additional financial support, etc. In the same way, The Academic affairs support team provides the facility of impartial information and advice as well as problems relating to university life.
Moreover, both Solent University and Solent Students’ Union are active enough on how to cope up with the difficulties students face during their study life. The team is called The Student Protection Plan, approved by the Office for Students (OfS). The international alumni ambassadors stand for giving any kind of supports according to their own experiences. Above all, Southampton is a city of scenic beauty surrounded by the park, waterfront, arts, music and culture. The electric night-times give a mesmerizing beauty having full security and safety.
The Solent University belongs to six halls of fully self-catered residences and all are settled down in the Southampton city centre. There are total of five student residences along with walkable roads and parking places within the city centre, the halls are situated near each other providing available modern en-suite rooms, non-en-suite rooms, Single and twin study bedrooms.
All bedrooms have a washbasin, attached kitchen along with a microwave, toaster, cooker, freezer, and so on. Chantry, David Moxon, Deanery, Hamwic, Kimber Students feel a real student community environment among the residences. Private student accommodation is also available in Southampton and its surrounding areas.
The establishment of a partnership between the University of Southampton and Southampton City Council leads to an officially recognized index SASSH (Southampton Accreditation Scheme for Student Housing).
It takes only fourteen minutes to move to the Southampton Solent campus by bus, thirteen minutes at University of Southampton, Avenue Campus to walk, and fifteen minutes at University of Southampton, Highfield Campus by bus. Therefore, spacious parking locations are available in towns and cities, Train Station Parking, London Parking Stadium Parking, Airport Parking.
Students of halls of residences, staff, visitors and contractors on academic sites can visit anywhere in the city. Above all, the student gets extra facilities like free tickets to travel from one place to another. The public transport network like buses, trains, air services is available.