Newcastle University is a well-known public research university with excellent teaching quality and research across multiple and exciting subject areas. It is a students’ favourite city-centre campus with around 50 acres of land in Newcastle. If anyone wants to specialise in any research-oriented field and show the best performance in the field of employment, this is the perfect place to hold on. Thus, to be successful in the future and achieve great things, students are welcomed here all of a sudden.
Newcastle provides a challenging and outstanding learning experience through sustainable academic excellence. Therefore, international students also prefer Newcastle University most, as it is one of the research-oriented Russell Group universities. Last but not least, Newcastle University’s award-winning Careers Support Team provides career advice even for life after graduation and shows the different career paths that get the most out of the university experience.
In 1834, Newcastle University was established as the School of Medicine and Surgery, and in 1871, it was grounded in the Armstrong College. Then, in 1937, the two colleges unitedly inaugurated the Federal University of Durham as well as King’s College, which achieved excellence in fundamental disciplines. It shows success in the fields of science, mathematics, naval architecture, engineering, arts, literature, and so on.
Therefore, during the period of industrialization, the university gained a strong sense of civics in the city of Newcastle. Afterward, in 1963, the federal university was closed down, and King’s College survived in the name of Newcastle University.
Ranking and Achievements
- 37th in the UK (Times University Guide 2024)
- 67th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2024)
- 110th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2024)
- 168th in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2024)
- 78th in the Leiden Ranking 2022
- 176th in the University Ranking by Academic Performance 2021
- Top 25 in the World for sustainable development in the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2023
- Awarded 5 Plus QS Stars for Overall Excellence 2022
The achievements of Newcastle are abundant.
The rich archive shows:
- The achievement of identifying cholera’ as a waterborne disease
- Inventing the Davy safety lamp,
- The World’s first Passenger Train,
- The first electric lamp,
- The steam turbine, identify the major brain biochemical defect, and so on.
There are over 200 undergraduate degrees as well as 300 postgraduate degrees available to choose from at Newcastle University. Students can choose any discipline by following their choice and eligibility.
Each faculty has vice chancellors and a team of deans. Their responsibilities are also clearly defined. Newcastle Teaching School is based on three faculties. Every faculty has distinguished subjects.
Faculties are as follows:
- Faculty of Science, Agriculture, and Engineering
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Medical Sciences
Newcastle University tuition fees for international students is £20,900-£28,800
Newcastle University Scholarships
Newcastle University offers the’ Overseas Research Scholarship UK for international students to study for a Ph.D. degree in any discipline. Most importantly, Newcastle students can have many scholarship opportunities:
- Subject scholarships
- Sports scholarships
- Opportunity Scholarships
- Vice-Chancellor’s EU Scholarships – Undergraduate
- Vice Chancellor’s International Scholarships
- Vice Chancellor’s Excellence Scholarships
- Vice Chancellor’s Excellence Scholarships – Europe
- Vice Chancellor’s Business Excellence Scholarships – Europe
- Vice Chancellor’s Global Scholarships
- International Foundation Scholarship (INTO Newcastle University)
- St Nicholas’ Educational Trust Scholarship
- Newcastle University Sanctuary Scholarships
Besides that, a wide range of extra financial help is available in Newcastle. Such as:
- Student Financial Support
- Students with Disabilities
- Childcare Support
- Part-time and vacation work
- Care leavers
Facilities and Services
Newcastle University (NCL) has several courses and programmes leading to higher education degrees. Entrance examinations are held according to students’ past academic records and grades. Besides that, Newcastle Undergraduate students can have their work permit for 9–12 months. Therefore, a wide range of facilities and services are available here:
- Library and housing facility,
- Study abroad and exchange programs.
- Sports facilities,
- Financial aids as well as scholarships
- Administrative services.
Newcastle University believes in ‘Aspire to Inspire’ and students are always appreciated for their brilliant success. The student-friendly campus guides the students to seek their true passions.
Students’ efforts and participation in clubs, societies, and volunteer work make the campus vibrant as well as resonate. Therefore, an on-campus facility is available where students get the opportunity to work. The facility is available for those who cannot make it to campus but can access what they need online.
A student can pass a full course period with courage and enjoyment. Newcastle University’s Students’ Union (NUSU) provides services like study support, financial support, or course advice all year round, from Freshers’ Week to Alumni Night.
So, student ‘peer’ mentoring, personal tutoring, clubs and societies, financial issues—all responsibilities are handled by the Student’ Union.
The coastal, heritage, and countryside Newcastle University accommodation scenarios are found in Newcastle city. The university campus is situated in the centre of the city. Over 5,000 guaranteed comfortable rooms are available in university halls.
High-rise apartments with modern architecture attract all, and they suit any student budget. Approximately 12 sites in total are seen on the campus. The Howden Court, Castle Leazes, Kensington Terrace, Leazes Parade, Liberty Plaza (managed partnership), Marris House, Park Terrace, and so on.
Newcastle has an excellent travel link. The Metro rail network creates an easy way to connect from the airport to the North Sea coast. As a result, international students always appreciate travelling from one place to another. The Route Planners help you get on the right path.
- AA Route Planner
- RAC route planner Therefore
public transport, Metro Park, and Ride are available to travel to the city centre. Students can also travel by plane, as Newcastle International Airport is closest to the city centre via Metro.
What is Newcastle University ranked in the UK?
30th in the UK (Complete University Guide 2024)
How much are Newcastle University fees?
The International tuition fee is £20,900-28,800
What is the GPA at Newcastle University?
In order to enhance their prospects of gaining admission to Newcastle University in the United Kingdom, students are expected to uphold a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.3.
Is it hard to get into Newcastle University?
Given the acceptance rate of 87% at Newcastle University, it can be observed that a significant proportion of applicants get admitted to the institution.
Is Newcastle expensive for students?
Newcastle is known as one of the most affordable cities to live in the UK