The University of York (abbreviated as Ebor or York for post-nominals) is a collegiate research university, located in the city of York, England. Established in 1963, the university has expanded to more than thirty departments and centres, covering a wide range of subjects.
Situated to the south-east of the city of York, the university campus is about 500 acres (200 hectares) in size. The original campus, Campus West, incorporates the York Science Park and the National Science Learning Centre, and its wildlife, campus lakes and greenery are prominent. In May 2007 the university was granted permission to build an extension to its main campus, on arable land just east of the nearby village of Heslington. The second campus, Campus East, opened in 2009 and now hosts three colleges and three departments as well as conference spaces, a sports village and a business start-up ‘incubator’. The institution also leases King’s Manor in York city centre. The university had a total income of £331.4 million in 2016/17, of which £66.0 million was from research grants and contracts.
York is a collegiate university and every student is allocated to one of the university’s nine colleges. The ninth college was founded in 2014 and was named Constantine after the Roman emperor Constantine I, who was proclaimed Augustus in York in 306 AD. There are plans to build two new colleges in the near future.
In 2012, York joined the Russell Group of research-intensive British universities. It was ranked joint 12th in the UK amongst multi-faculty institutions for the quality (GPA) of its research and 24th for its Research Power in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. The 2019 national ranking of York is 12th by The Guardian and 22nd by The Times and in 2020 it was ranked 30th by The Complete University Guide; internationally it ranked 134th (QS), 119th (THE) and between 301-400 (ARWU) for 2019, and 128th (CWTS) for 2018.
Why Choose University of York?
No matter where you are from, or what you would like to do when you graduate, the York experience will challenge, inspire, develop and support you. Through a combination of excellent teaching, a rich and varied campus life and a cultured city, you’ll have the experience of a lifetime.
1. Teaching excellence: We are a leading UK university for academic excellence. We are ranked 148th in the QS World University Rankings 2020 and we have seven world top 100 subjects in the QS World University Rankings by subject 2019.
2. Inspirational research: York is one of the world’s premier institutions for inspirational and life-changing research. We attract world-leading academics, whose research brings vibrancy and cutting edge ideas to the teaching you will receive at York. We were ranked 14th overall and 10th for the impact of our research in the Times Higher Education’s ranking of the Research Excellence Framework 2014. The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is a UK-wide assessment of the quality of research in universities undertaken by expert review panels.
3. Beautiful city in a great location: Lively, full of culture and beautiful, York is regularly named one of the best places to live and visit in the UK. It’s easy to get to from anywhere in the world, with great public transport links and international airports nearby. Our central location is perfect for exploring other UK and European cities, and the beautiful Yorkshire countryside and coastline.
4. Fantastic student experience: You’ll meet people from all over the world among our community of over 18,000 students, representing over 150 countries. Try something new and meet interesting people through getting involved in our friendly and supportive campus life. There are over 200 social, cultural and religious student-led societies and 65+ sports clubs to choose from. We also have an International Students’ Association (Facebook) which is a student-run society that organises a range of social events throughout the year in and around Yorkshire.
5. Global connections: York is a truly global university. Over 20 per cent of both the University’s staff and our students come from outside the UK. We also collaborate with top institutions across the globe on a variety of research projects and initiatives. Our teaching and exchange partnerships provide international opportunities for our students to study or work abroad.
6. Safe and supportive environment: We recognise that studying in a different country can be daunting so we have an excellent structure in place to give you all the help you need. From English language support to careers advice, we will ensure that you are well supported during your time with us. You can also relax in the knowledge that you’ll be living and studying in a safe and green campus environment and student-friendly city.