- The University of Surrey has a large international student body compared to other UK universities. According to the university’s student key facts, approximately 35% of their student population hails from outside the UK – representing Surrey’s dedication to diversity.
- The University of Surrey has a fairly large overall student population. There were 17,000+ students studying at undergraduate, post-grad (taught), and post-grad (research) levels. In addition, the University also has over 730 students at its campus in China.
- This educational institute is committed to delivering teaching and academic excellence. These efforts have been recognised as the university earned TEF Gold for delivering consistently outstanding teaching and learning outcomes.
- The University ranked at the 34th position in the Complete University Guide, 39th in the Times and the Sunday Times Good University Guide, and 54th in the Guardian University Guide for 2021.
- The University of Surrey has 7 courses in the top 10 rankings in the Guardian University Guide 2021 and 5 subjects in the Complete University Guide 2021.
- Interesting Fact, the infamous English rock band, Led Zeppelin performed their first gig at the university on October 25, 1968.
The University of Surrey in UK has roots that can be traced back to the late 1880s. The Battersea Polytechnic Institute is credited as its predecessor educational institute, which was founded in 1891. Admitting its first batch of students in 1894, the Institute’s aim was to provide higher education opportunities for students in London.
In 1956, the Institute gained the College of Advanced Technology designation, which prompted a name change to Battersea College of Technology. In the coming years, the university would outgrow its existing campuses and then finally become the University of Surrey in 1966 through the Royal Charter.
In 1985, the HRH The Duke of Kent at the time opened the University’s site development of the Surrey Research Park. This research Park is now home to over 100 companies and a 2,500-person strong staff involved in research and development in various fields.
Since then, the University of Kent has celebrated 130 years of academic and research excellence and transformation. In addition to a £130 million accommodation, the educational institute has developed the Surrey Sports Park, the Library and Learning Centre, Ivy Arts Centre, the School of Veterinary Medicine, and others.
Today, the university generates a significant amount of research output, especially in the fields of sustainable energy, telecommunications, space, and health care. The educational institute also provides students with high-quality academic opportunities.
Students can choose from over 162 undergraduate courses and 154 sandwich/placement courses.
Breakdown of the Fee Structure
International students can expect to pay £15,800 to £20,500.
Students applying for undergraduate programmes can apply for bursaries and scholarships on merit and means bases. Examples include the Asylum Seeker Bursary, Full Surrey Award, Newton’s Scholarship, and others.
Postgraduate students can apply for programs such as Discounts for Surrey Graduates, Women in Leadership Scholarship, and the Ted Adams Trust Nursing scholarship among others.
With the opportunity to pursue academic and research excellence along with the advantage of a high employability rate, the University of Surrey holds a lot of potential for both local and non-UK international students.
If you require assistance in the application process, we can help.
18% from countries around the world
Over 17,000 Student Population at the main campus with over 730 students at the China campus.
The University of Surrey’s campus is placed near the countryside with Guildford and the rest of Surrey in easy reach. There are plenty of pubs and bars along with three theatres, several art galleries, live music venues, bustling shopping centers, and various other locations that host comedy, literature and art events.
The Surrey Hills and other countryside locations are close by for the weekend and outdoor excursions such as zip-lining, mountain biking, hiking, and others.
Besides that, the University of Surrey has a union USSU, which provides plenty of other opportunities for social and other extra-curricular activities. There are 180+ clubs and societies that hold club meetings, balls, galas, and varsity activities.
New entrants are guaranteed accommodation if they meet the eligibility criteria. There are over 6,000 rooms available at various locations that include Stag Hill, Manor Park and Hazel Farm.
All rooms are self-catered with half of them featuring an en suite shower and toilet. Also,regu accommodations are mixed-sex but other arrangements can be made.
Overall, students can expect to pay £72 to £255 a week for self-catered rooms.
The University of Surrey is a 10-minute walk away from Guildford’s town centre. Students can travel to and from the campus on foot, the regular bus services, and nextbikes around the campus.
Also, London is a half-an-hour away from Guildford while Heathrow and Glasgow airports are a mere 35-minute ride away.
The University of Surrey supports its students’ academic needs, which are managed by the Academic Skills and Development team. Other than that, students can make appointments for workshops and get the staff and faculty to help with writing, research or revision, etc.
Other than that, there are health services available through local GPs, at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, and the Guildford Dental Centre (which provides free dental exams to students).
Counselling and mental health support is offered at the Centre for Wellbeing, the Big White Wall (which is an online safe space), and Nightline (which is an anonymous listening service).
Students with disabilities can also receive support such as learning accommodation, access points, lifts, ramps, adapted accommodation, and Disabled Students’ Allowance applications.
The University of Surrey also has a recruitment agency that helps graduates find jobs. Student ambassadorship and part-time employment is available for applicants as well.