The University of Suffolk is a modern public university that belongs to a twenty-first-century audience. It focuses on UK university traditions and new entrepreneurship. The motto of this university is to change the conception of the world. For this reason, it is called a transformational university. It crystallises the changing of lives as well as creating a strong academic community.
Suffolk proves that everything changes, and it needs to be bold to hold success together. Moreover, this unique higher education institution builds up a regional relationship with the collaboration of local colleges. The university is enriched with expert tutors operated by up-to-date research and world-leading thinking.
The University of East Anglia and the University of Essex combinedly established the University Campus Suffolk’ (UCS) in 2007. Then, this innovative institute was given university status after gaining independence from the Privy Council in 2016 and became ‘The University of Suffolk’.
The university comprises four campuses, of which the main campus, ‘The Ipswich campus’, was established in the heart of Ipswich, a historic country town. It is also called the Waterfront Building. It was designed by RMJM Architects and contains lecture halls and smaller teaching rooms.
Ranking and Achievements
- 106th in the UK (Times University Guide 2024)
- 68th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2024)
- The University of Suffolk, which won the ‘WhatUni Awards 2019‘, came back on October 28, 2020.
- The University of Suffolk secured 8th place in the country for courses and lecturers.
- The university came in 13th for the placement.
- It stands for 20th for Student Support.
- It is ranked 25th in the UK for the University of the Year.
- The Suffolk Adult Learners’ Awards 2021.
- The university is being nominated for the Suffolk Adult Learners’ Awards 2021 as it shows an amazing achievement for adult learners and their teachers.
The University of Suffolk consists of academic schools and professional services. Each academic discipline has its own courses, and students can choose any of them based on their choice and eligibility.
The faculties are:
- School of Engineering, Arts, Science, and Technology
- School of Social Sciences and Humanities
- School of Health and Sports Sciences
- Suffolk Business School
- Professional Services Departments
The International tuition fee is £12,996-16,497
The University of Suffolk provides several scholarships for international students. It is applicable for both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. They are as follows:
- Suffolk Executive MBA (SEMBA) Scholarship (2023/4): £4,000
- The Chevening Scholarship is an external scholarship applicable mainly to one-year master’s programmes. It is a global scholarship programme provided by the UK government.
- The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) is applicable to students from developing countries who are willing to study in the UK. It is an external scholarship.
- The Snowdon Masters Scholarship is an external scholarship applicable to disabled students.
- A total of £1,000 and £2,000 is up for grabs as part of the International Merit Scholarship (2023/4).
- Female- 56%
- UK Students-89%
- EU Students-10%
- Full-time- 91%
- First year-49%
- Other years- 51%
- Postgraduate- 5%
Facilities and Services
- Available on-campus and off-campus halls of residence
- The University of Suffolk takes pride in many great achievements involving local initiatives.
- Students and staff have strong bond that provides the highest quality education and research.
- Financial support is available for part-time UK/EU undergraduates who can get a tuition fee loan.
- Funding for a disabled one.
Suffolk Student Union is dedicated enough to students’ well-being and ensures the security and happiness of the students from freshmen’s week to alumni night. The union is always busy with multiple events, services, and responsibilities. Moreover, the union looks after and makes suggestions concerning student finance, the course, housing issues, and amusements.
Suffolk has the Department of Library and Learning Services, from which staff, students, and researchers mostly benefit. The librarian and academic skills adviser are active enough to help students. The student union always helps with learning technologies. Suffolk is the safest city and a multi-cultural centre. Students from all over the world gather here and enjoy the beauty of the arts, designs, and national parks. The city has strong social bonding, where students can build up good relationships with other institutions.
The University of Suffolk provides a luxurious and comfortable living place for students. The students have the option to choose accommodation where they wish to live. The university authorities provide details about accommodation endorsements. There are many residence halls.
Among them, Athena Hall provides on-campus facilities that are located close to the Waterfront Building on the Ipswich Waterfront. Therefore, the Ormonde House is a quiet environment to live and study in and has been renovated to a high standard at present.
AXO Suffolk is another purpose-built flat for students who choose independent living as well as friendship grouping. It has a shared kitchen, a shared lounge, bronze chambers, silver chambers, and so on. Spring Court is another purpose-built flat for the students established on Spring Road.
Above all, there is a walkable distance between on-campus and off-campus halls of residence and local amenities. Above all, Suffolk is a green city with a suburban garden, and anyone can live a full life.
There is very easy transportation in Suffolk City. Students can travel easily from one place to another by bus. Therefore, there are available student support services for travelling, including a free ticket service facility. The ticket service can be weekly, monthly, or annual. Moreover, there is only a 20-minute walking distance to the main Ipswich train station.
Students can also move to Futura Park, Ransomes Euro Park, and Anglia Retail Park, which are Ipswich’s key retail parks. Each station has network maps, and students can access the Cattle Market Bus Station, Tower Ramparts Bus Station, and so on. For disabled students, modern bus spaces, buggies, and wheelchair facilities are available.
They can visit Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital anytime. Above all, Suffolk Show bus services are available for student tours, excursions, etc., and the Blue Badge parking bays stand for disabled students. Visitors may come to the university for their loved ones.
Is Suffolk University a good University?
In the 2024 edition of Best Colleges, Suffolk University is ranked #249 among national universities.
How much does the University of Suffolk cost for international students?
The International tuition fee is £12,996-16,497
What GPA is required for Suffolk?
The minimum GPA accepted by Suffolk University is 3.24. Its fine if you get mostly B's in school with the occasional A. Avoiding C's and D's is recommended, as the readers of your application may question your ability to cope with the rigours of higher education.
Does Suffolk University give scholarships?
Scholarships are only valid for the academic years that begin in the autumn and spring. Undergraduates may be eligible for summer Federal Pell Grant funding in certain circumstances.
What is Suffolk acceptance rate?
The University of Suffolk acceptance rate is 88%.
Why choose University of Suffolk?
The education you obtain at the University of Suffolk will be superior to that of most other institutions.