The University of Southampton is one of the famous research-oriented universities in Southampton, England and, a founding member of Russell Group Universities. The university comprises five campuses and shows its’ excellence in the academic field. Students from140 different countries gather here and get the best learning experiences through discovering the world-class research. Therefore, the students are lucky enough to get the highly-experienced faculty members. Moreover, Southampton is the place of a lively multi- cultural centre with a strong community and is rich in international food and culture. It is a place of green with the best weather in England.
University of Southampton: Rankings and Achievements
- In the Complete University Guide Ranking- 2020, The University of Southampton
secured 1st place for the achievement of Aural & Oral Sciences, Physiotherapy as
well as Occupational Therapy.
- Secured 1st position in Civil Engineering and Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- and 23rd in The Guardian University Guide 2021.
- Ranked as the Top 15 Uk university.
- Ranked 8th in the Uk Research Intensity.
- Secured 15th position in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021.
- Secured 90th position in the QS World University Rankings (2021)
- Secured 122nd position in Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2020.
The origin of the ‘University of Southampton‘ found earlier in 1862, named the Hartley Institution. Then, in 1902, the institute became established as the Hartley University College. It was given full university status while receiving awards from the University of London, in 1952. Southampton belongs to seven teaching campuses. Five campuses are situated in Southampton whereas one in Winchester and another international branch in Malaysia. They are called ‘Winchester School of Art’ and ‘University of Southampton Malaysia’. Southampton’s Highfield ‘landscaped by Basil Spence’ is the place where the main campus is located.
Lots of undergraduate and postgraduate courses are offered in this institution. Students take up
Southampton for its’ outstanding academic research based on the subjects.
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Faculty of Environmental and Life Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Social Sciences
International students – 11.7%
Free structure: Rankings and Achievements
The international tuition fee is £18,520-£22,760
Scholarships: Rankings and Achievements
- University of Southampton Undergraduate Merit Scholarship
- Toptal Scholarships for Women
- Chevening Scholarship,
- Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
- Fulbright Commission
- China Scholarship Council
Facilities and Services
The University of Southampton has its’ own support services which can help the students with
mental health issues, disability needs, living costs, safety and security issues, and so on.
- The student support and well- being service team gives support by counselling on mental health in students’ worrying time.
The campus security team ensures safety by giving first aid monitoring the campus-wide CCTV systems.
- The students get secured, lockable and alcohol-free accommodation.
- The students gather experiences by taking part in part-time jobs in and around Southampton which will help in graduate jobs.
- Resident students can travel around Southampton for free having bus passes.
- Students can access free health services at the National Health Service (NHS) centre.
- The students can get paid internships and work placement facilities.
The Student Support Hub is always getting ready to listen to any inquiries and give the latest guidelines. People from all over the world gather here and can get Amazing friends. The independent Students’ Union, SUSU, is dedicated to giving supports from freshers’ week to Alumni night. The university students can have their volunteering opportunities.
Southampton students are welcomed to be a member of the Students’ Union, ‘SUSU’ that provides enormous opportunities for students. ‘SUSU’ arranges entertainment activities like top music and give their effort by establishing themselves restaurants, vegetarian cafe, bars, shop, cinema, and shops. Therefore, their arrangement of well-equipped library facilities amuses all.
The Living place is very suitable near Southampton campuses or in the city centre. Students get affordable rooms as well as the Halls. The single or personal bedroom, a communal kitchen, laundry, high- speed internet, common room, bicycle storage, accessible and adapted rooms, gyms, and leisure facilities are available there. Therefore, students can choose a postgraduate flat as they have options for the accommodation choice.
Both Southampton and Winchester are student-friendly cities and well-connected to the rest of Europe that provides safety and security. Southampton city is surrounded by modern art and culture, restaurants, friendly and walkable places. The city is famous for its’ best weather in the entire England next to the sea. Moreover, Southampton is renowned for its’ safe environment and ranked as the 6th safest large city in England.
Courses Offered by University of Southampton
The transport links are very good at Southampton. Bus services are available that takes only 12 minutes to move to the Southampton City Airport from campus. And it takes 2 hours train journey to travel to London. Sometimes the Students’ Union provides a free Safety Bus to reach home late at night.