University of Portsmouth is a public university situated in Portsmouth, Hampshire. The University of Portsmouth is located on the south coast of England, about 120 km southwest of London. There are over 24,000 students enrolled, 5,200 of which are international.
Portsmouth is a modern, multi-disciplinary university that offers practical courses at undergraduate, postgraduate taught and research level across five faculties. Most bachelor’s degrees include a one-year paid work placement and the University is currently ranked 21st in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2020). The university is also rated highly for student satisfaction and graduate employment. It is one of four universities in South East England to be rated gold in the Government Teaching.
The institution is also partnered with International College Portsmouth – Navitas who deliver Foundation Year, International Year One and Pre-Masters courses.
University of Portsmouth Rankings & Achievements
- NSS 2021 Rank-115
- QS Ranking- 651-700
- THE- 501–600
- The Guardian-75
The university was established in the year of 1870 as Portsmouth and Gasport School of Science and Art. In 1911, two student unions were opened for male and female students. After the world war II the college diversified its syllabus adding arts and humanities subjects in the year of 1945- 1960. The institution changed its name Portsmouth College of Technology in 1953.
Furthermore, in 1980 the college became one of the largest polytechnic institutes and changed its name as Portsmouth Polytechnic. It achieved full university status in 1992 under the act of Further and Higher Education Act 1992.
The university has set its strategies for fulfilling the vision 2030. Such as–
- Inspire through their shared purpose
- Realize the potential of their staff
- Boost diversity and inclusivity
- Embedded well-being and resilience
- Ensure students experience is consistently outstanding
- Reduce attainment gaps
- Inspire and challenge the students
- Promote successful graduate outcomes
- Proactively respond to changing demand
- Extend knowledge through their thematic areas
- Exchange knowledge through strategic partnership
- Meet future employer and skill needs
- Actively promote enterprise
Faculties and Schools
The faculties of this university are:
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Science and Health
- Faculty of Technology
There are several schools and institutes under these faculties at this university. They are:
- School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
- School of Computing
- Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation
- School of Energy and Electronic Engineering
- School of Mathematics and Physics
- School of Mechanical and Design Engineering
- Department of Learning at Work
International students – 17%
Fees & Scholarship of University of Portsmouth
The foreign students need to pay £16,200-18,300 per year. As an international student at Portsmouth, you can receive many scholarships. The eligibility of these scholarships varies on your course, academic grade etc. The scholarships are:
- Vice-Chancellor’s Global Development Scholarship: The full time undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply for this scholarship. The students will get a £1600 scholarship which will adjust with their regular tuition fees. Moreover, the scholarship is available only for first-year students. Also, this scholarship is only for international students.
- Chancellor’s Global Academic Merit Scholarship: This scholarship will be available from 2022. The scholars will receive £5000 from this scholarship which will be adjusted with their regular tuition fees. The applicants need to apply for this scholarship. Additionally, this scholarship is available for full-time undergraduate and postgraduate international students.
- School of Environment, Geography and Geoscience Scholarship: The self-funded students who will get offer letters from the School of Environment, Geography and Geoscience will be eligible for this scholarship. The students will get a 50% waiver from their regular tuition fees. In addition, the students need to apply separately for this scholarship.
- Chevening Scholarship: This scholarship is a reward from the UK government for international students. It is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organizations. The scholarship is only available for one-year masters’ students only. To become eligible for this scholarship students need to have two years of work or volunteer experience along with an undergraduate degree.
- Commonwealth Scholarship: The scholarship is funded by the Commonwealth. The objective of this scholarship is to attract outstanding talent to British universities and to combine sustainable development. Scholarships reward merit and promote equity, inclusion and access to education, especially to students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Facilities and Service
The undergraduate students of this university can access the latest equipment during their studies. There is also academic and personal support available to help them make the most of their time with the university. The university facilities are given below:
- Lab and Testing Facilities: The lab and testing facilities of this university are the key of teaching, research and collaborative work with the UK industry and business partners. The university has developed such collaborative partnerships and built SAP Next Generation Business
- Software Lab, UPGEL Network of Science and Technology Lab, Institute of Marine Science.
Testing and Learning Space: The university believes that the testing and learning space are essential to develop the knowledge, experience, and critical thinking skills. The university is continuing to invest in new learning spaces and technologies that provide the students valuable experiences across all their subjects and faculties.
- Sports and Fitness Facilities: During your study period you don’t have to be a die heart sports fan. The university thinks there’s no time in your life like university life. It is a chance to explore who you really are and what you can achieve. The students can join the university sports club where they have 125 gym stations as well.
While selecting a university the students not only consider the academic stuff but also a place to learn something new. Because when they choose a place to study they are also picking a place to live, work and play.
At the weekends or vacations students will lead a life without study. They will get plenty of variations in restaurants. They can roam around the beaches, piers and parks. Also, the students can explore shopping in Portsmouth, the music scene, art, culture and the night life.
When you’ll join University of Portsmouth you will not just study there you’ll make it home. Whether you are in their halls of residence or renting in the city you will be a member of their local community.
The university has the halls of residence for its students. They will provide regular deep-cleaning of your communal areas such as kitchens, shared bathrooms, hallways, and Cleaning materials and cleaning guidance, so you can wipe down communal fixtures between deep-cleans. Moreover, you’ll be offered a guaranteed room in the halls if you just for accommodation as a full-time undergraduate student.
On the other hand, you can rent an apartment for living in the city. Generally, if you share a house or apartment you’ll be living with 3 to 5 people. You should expect to pay £390–£520 per month, per person for rent and bills combined.
Students can come to the campus very easily from any corner of the city. You can take a walk if you live near or on campus. You can also take your bike because there are plenty of parking places for students’ personal vehicles.
Furthermore, you can also use the university bus which is free for the students. In addition, public buses will be another option for you. Additionally, if you have your own car you can use that as well as you can park that in the university area.