The University of Glasgow is a famous research-based public University situated in Scotland. It is a part of Russell Group Universities and the center of world-changing research as well as higher education to promote Sustainability. The university offers several flexible undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs that challenge global needs. The university takes pride in fundamental, strategic and applied research. Therefore, the Glasgow community consists of students and staff from different countries and comes up with a local, regional, national and international environment. It reopens the door in the light of Scottish culture and enhances economic regeneration. The institute undertakes the motto’ The Way, The Truth, The Life’ and celebrates the achievements of the national economy.
University of Glasgow: Rankings and Achievements
- Glasgow alumni win seven times Nobel Prizes
- The University of Glasgow is a part of the association of European Research-Intensive Universities.
- This institute is a founding member of Universitas 21
- Ranked14th in the Times University Guide 2021
- Secured 12th position in the Guardian University Guide 2021
- Ranked 77th in QS World University Rankings 2021
- The University of Glasgow initiated the World-Changing Alumni award to celebrate the excellent performance of the notable alumni.
The origin of The University of Glasgow found in 1451 and was established by the public decree named ‘papal bull’. It is the fourth-oldest university among the 4th primitive universities in Scotland. During the 18th century, the university was a part of the Scottish Enlightenment accompanied by the universities of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and St. Andrews. Among eight primitive institutions, Glasgow wins awards undergraduate master’s degrees in several academic disciplines. The University of Glasgow consists mainly of four colleges. They are, College of Arts, College of Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences, College of Science & Engineering, and College of Social Sciences.
The University of Glasgow belongs to several faculties and every faculty as well as schools has several subjects. The schools are as follows:
- School of Chemistry
- Adam Smith Business School
- School of Computing Science
- Dental School
- School of Critical Studies
- School of Culture & Creative Arts
- School of Education
- James Watt School of Engineering
- School of Geographical & Earth Sciences
- School of Humanities
- School of Interdisciplinary Studies
- School of Law
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Mathematics & Statistics
- School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing
- School of Modern Languages & Cultures
- School of Physics & Astronomy
- School of Psychology
- School of Social & Political Sciences
- School of Veterinary Medicine
The top ten subjects are as follows:
Accounting and Finance, Computer Science, Drama, Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
Geography, Law. Music, Nursing, and Sports Science.
International students – 13%
Fee Structure: University of Glasgow
The international tuition fee is £17,650-£19,500
Scholarships: University of Glasgow
- RUK Access Bursary is applicable for England, Northern Ireland, Wales students.
- The RUK Excellence Scholarship is applicable for ‘A-Level (or equivalent)
- The Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) Postgraduate Funding is available for Scottish students. It is also applicable for non-UK EU countries.
- The University of Glasgow offers PGT Excellence Awards for UK and EU Students.
- English, Welsh, and Northern Irish Students are eligible for Postgraduate Masters Loan.
- Both full-time and part-time postgraduate students get financial support from Postgraduate Doctoral Loan.
- Funding for Northern Irish students gives financial support to a taught Master’s program in Glasgow.
Funding for Welsh Students, postgraduate funding is available for a Welsh student.
- The postgraduate research students are eligible for the ‘Graduate Teaching Assistantships’
that is the process of students’ works experience through supplementing their income.
Facilities and Services
- A one-year free tuition for the students from England, Wales and N. Ireland.
- A modern learning environment with the latest IT support.
- A well-equipped library with full of inevitable as well as rare books and archives. The university students can borrow books anytime by using their ID cards and they can have internet access in particular courses.
- The Language Centre Library situated In Bute Gardens that has a spacious premise
- The university clubs and societies are officially attached to SRC that provide funding, training, facilities and services.
- The vending machines are available in and out of the university campuses. Students also
get many local cafes along with seating areas.
The University of Glasgow has many Clubs and societies. The Student Council is the mouthpiece of university students. Students take part in the SRC election twice a year. To be a part of this council and to run it smoothly, it’s not mandatory any previous experience rather needs ideas and enthusiasm. The University of Glasgow has two students’ union, Glasgow University Union (GUU) and the Queen Margaret Union (QMU).These two social and cultural institutions always remain busy with social and institutional activities. For example, debating, dining, drinking, recreational activities, and so on.Therefore, a ‘hummus lovers society’ stands for student’s any kind of requirements. In the same way, sports clubs are opened to all growing talents. So, students from all over the countries gather here and can make a life-long friendship. Moreover, several food areas on campus fulfill student’s requirements. Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland. The city is lively and friendly with full of scenic beauty. The Art Galleries, Science Centres, the Hunterian Museum enrich the living place. Therefore, The People’s Palace is a renowned place where the 2014 Commonwealth Games were held. Students can easily find out the football stadiums, shopping centres, restaurants and cafes. Moreover, it is the city of music lovers and well-known as the UK’s first UNESCO City of outstanding music. The traditional pubs, scattered bars are also available. The parks and public gardens are the places for the peace of tranquility and serenity.
The University of Glasgow has two major city campuses situated at Gilmorehill and Garscube.The third one is established in Dumfries near to the south of Glasgow.There are lots of private rented accommodation in and around Glasgow. Students like mostly the new attractive Mary Stewart building. Glasgow Living Support Team is trained enough to give supports and advice to residents. They provide support and services such as, students’ medical help, emotional support, any information about university life. Both undergraduate and postgraduate students are benefitted from the team even to know about new events and opportunities.
Courses Offered by University of Glasgow
A high-quality transport service is available in Glasgow. The university students can have access to hire minibuses on university business. Therefore, the rules and regulations of transportation is very strict that belongs to the health and safety law for on-the-road work activities. Students can move easily from one place to another by train or Glassgow city buses. In Garscube Campus public transports are also available. Moreover, students have the opportunity to use the Glasgow Tripper smart card as well as the SPT Zone card. Above all, the Scotrail Service is also available in many routes to travel around the city that makes it a whole lot easier.