University of Central Lancashire is a modern global university. It is situated mainly in Preston, Lancashire. But the university has multi-campuses. And, it has partnerships with 125 institutions around the earth. The motto of this institute is ‘Ex solo ad solem’ means ‘from the earth to the sun’. This leading UK university is serious about their goal as like their motto. Lancashire motivates students through real-life teaching and brilliant academic supports. So, the local people as well the internationals get life-changing teachings from Lancashire.
Rankings & Achievements of University of Central Lancashire
Lancashire has many attractive achievements. Let’s see UCLan ranking and reward history-
1. UCLan ranked in the top 7% Centre for World University Rankings 2021-22.
2. It ranked 251–300th in Young University Rankings 2021 by THE.
3. In the UK UCLan is the only university to run a feature film module. And, the outcomes of the course are impressive-
- The Collaborators (2015),
- Audax (2014),
- The Wedding (2013),
- Wraith (2012) and
- Needle In The Hay (2011).
4. It achieved 89th position out of 130 universities by University League Table 2022.
5. The Guardian University Rank of UCLan is 79th.
University of Central Lancashire started its journey back in 1828. People knew it as ‘Institution for the Diffusion of Knowledge. After 54 years of education services, it received a significant donation. The Trustees of Edmund Robert Harris provided it in 1882. And the institute then adopted the name ‘Harris Institute’. In 1956 the government started a re-organisation of technical education. So, the institute again changed its name to ‘Harris College’.
UCLan had gone through many evolutions and changes over years. Following these changes, it became a Polytechnic institute ‘Preston Polytechnic’ in 1973. In 1984, it introduced its name to people Lancashire Polytechnic’.
In the year 1992, the government permitted degree-awarding powers to polytechnics. Finally the institute the ‘University of Central Lancashire’. It created the logo of ‘UCLan’ in 2007. The university again came with a new brand, logo, and colour in 2020. These are symbols of a strong place of learning, where goals become real successes.
With a proud long history, the university is growing to a leading position. Today, UCLan courses include 400 undergraduate and over 200 postgraduate. All the courses in UCLan are taught by professionals.
The institute has six faculties and fourteen schools, known as-
- Faculty of Allied Health and Wellbeing
- Faculty of Business and Justice
- Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Science
- Faculty of Culture and Creative Industries
- Faculty of Health and Care
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- School of Arts and Media
- School of Community Health and Midwifery
- School of Dentistry
- School of Engineering
- School of Humanities, Language and Global Studies
- School of Justice
- School of Medicine
- School of Natural Sciences
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
- School of Psychology and Computer Science
- School of Social Work, Care and Community
- School of Sport and Health Sciences
- School of Veterinary Medicine
- Lancashire School of Business and Enterprise
- Undergraduate – 72%
- Postgraduate – 28%
- Full-time students – 78%
- Part-time students – 22%
- UK students– 84%
- EU students- 3%
- International students – 14%
- Female – 58%
- Male – 42%
- Total student population – 25,001 approximately
University of Central Lancashire: Fee Structure
University of Central Lancashire: Scholarships
Every student seeks scholarships, financial awards, or discounts. And, UCLan believes that cost should not be a burden for talents. So, it offers a range of different scholarships and bursaries. These depend on various things like academic excellence, family income, nationality, etc.
Some popular scholarships are-
- Excellence Scholarship
- Family Loyalty Scholarship
- GEMS Education Scholarship
- International Bursary
- Chevening – UK Government Scholarship
- International Alumni Scholarship
- International Postgraduate Scholarship
- Merit Scholarship
- Sports Scholarships
- Postgraduate Research Funding Opportunities etc.
Facilities and Services
UCLan ensures all types of facilities and services for students’ comfort. There are plenty of support systems, some of them are-
- Library (Preston library Burnley library)
- IT & Labs
- Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing service
- Career service
- Student Information Center- the i
- Disability (inclusivity) advice and support
- Medical Centre
- The Oasis Faith and Spirituality Centre
- Safety and Security
- Sports and Fitness
- Student Financial Support Team
- Report & Support etc.
Lancashire as a city is wonderful. Students will enjoy the city filled with stories, amazing places, and cultural diversity. It also amazes with its small population and unique local businesses.
It is safe for students living and keeps them away from monotonous lives.
At the campus, life is easy and comfortable. New students enjoy a warm welcome at the very beginning of their journey here. The university has welcome arrangements that include-
- Virtual tour guide,
- Free airport collection service,
- Welcome weeks, etc.
Like other popular institutions, the Lancashire Student union is also active. They provide almost all kinds of supports to the students. They encourage students for extra curriculum activities and show their talents. Thus students get involved in sports clubs, societies, media, and volunteering work. This way new students also make new friends and develop skills. Again, the Advice Centre always tries to provide free and continuous supports.
Resembling any good university Lancashire wants to please their students with secure residences. There are several types of accommodation at UCLan for different budget students.
1. Preston accommodation
Students of Preston campus have various choices of accommodation here. These are furnished with all modern equipment and facilities. Some are en-suite and some are shared. CCTV, catering facility, free wi-fi, gas, electricity, etc. are available with included bills. There is also an active team to help students in housing matters. The halls are-
I. Derwent Hall
II. Douglas Hall
III. Pendle Hall
IV. Ribble Hall
V. Roeburn Hall
VI. Whitendale Hall
VII. Burnley halls
VIII. Sandygate Hall
2. Westlakes accommodation
Students of Westlakers campus like to live in Summergrove halls. This is a private accommodation option for students. Here all the facilities are the same. It is located in a beautiful nearer place to the campus.
Again, if students wish they can choose other alternative housing options. Many flats, rooms or houses are available for students’ rent. They can contact local agents to search for such secure accommodation.
The student life at Lancashire is full of excitement and activity. Besides study students can explore the city and take outdoor recreation facilities. Local transports are the best option for students here.
Local shops, restaurants, nature scenarios, and so many things attract students at Lancashire. By bus, the Brockholes Nature Reserve takes only 20 minutes to reach. The amazing Beacon fell County Park is 10 miles away from the city. So, options are many for students to enjoy their lives here.
Using bicycles, walking paths are best to go nearer locations. Also, the cost of public transport is reasonable here. Besides, the university has links with local transport maintainers. It facilitates students to enjoy discounts on tickets. So, travel around the city is free of tension here. Moreover, the university offers free parking facilities. Students who use personal cars can take this advantage.