The University of Bristol is one of the famous research-oriented universities in the UK and a member of the Russell Group of UK universities. It is a public red brick university with excellent teaching quality and innovation. The motto of the university says,’ Learning promotes one’s innate power’. The institution is the centre of highly talented students and staff that ensures a unique student learning experience and proves its’ worth. the University of Bristol is internationally renowned for its’ excellence in the academic field. The university offers attractive scholarship packages that reduce the overall expenses of overseas studies. World-changing research activities, sharing cultures and different study approaches broaden the academic experience for the students. The researchers of this institution step forward to share new ideas and expertise to solve practical problems and guide future generations.
University of Bristol: Rankings and Achievements
- Secured 58th position in the QS World University Rankings 2021
- Secured 13th place in the Times University Guide 2021
- Ranked 91st in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- Ranked11th in the Guardian University Guide 2021
- Secured 64th place in the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020
- The university is rated ‘world-leading research centre’ by Research Excellence Framework and acknowledged by the government.
- Bristol is a top-five among research-based UK university.
The origin of the University of Bristol was founded in 1876. The Wills and Fry families contributed a lot to establish this unique institution and funded huge amounts for its’ growth. It was a well-known first university for accepting female students. At first, the university’s roots were traced back in 1595 named A Merchant Venturers’ school and University College, Bristol (1876). Then, it was converted to The Bristol Medical School(1893) and the Merchant Venturers Technical College(1909). In the same year 1909, the institution was given university status and granted a royal charter. Multiple schools and departments increased the university’s reputation. Therefore, George Oatley’s residential halls named Avon Gorge remain famous and after getting UGC fund, some new buildings were constructed designed by Ralph Brentnall.
The University of Bristol comprises several undergraduate and postgraduate programs following the faculties as well as schools. University students can choose any subject according to their choice and eligibility. The main six faculties are:
Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Life Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences and Law. Some of the famous schools are given:
- School of Arts
- School of Humanities
- School of Modern Languages
- Centre for Academic Language and Development
- Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- School of Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and Engineering Maths (SCEEM)
- School of Civil, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (CAME)
- Bristol Dental School
- Bristol Medical School
- Teaching and Learning for Health Professionals
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Physiology, Pharmacology, and Neuroscience
- School of Psychological Science
- School of Chemistry
- School of Physics
- School of Accounting and Finance
- School of Economics
- School of Sociology, Politics and International Studies
- University of Bristol Law School, and so on.
International students – 21%
University of Bristol: Fee Structure
The international tuition fee is £20,100-£38,000
University of Bristol scholarships
The university is investing £2 million in scholarships for 2022. These will assist the best and brightest overseas students, including those from the EU, in pursuing their degrees at the University of Bristol.
- Think Big Undergraduate scholarships
- Global Accounting and Finance undergraduate scholarships
- Global Economics undergraduate scholarships
- School of Policy Studies international undergraduate scholarships
- Think Big About Global Justice undergraduate scholarships
- Think Big bursaries for sciences
- Think Big Postgraduate scholarships
- Future Leaders scholarships
- Global Accounting and Finance postgraduate scholarships
- Global Economics postgraduate scholarships
- Michael Wong Pakshong bursary
- Phyllis Mary Morris bursaries
- R Senathi Rajah memorial scholarship – for students from Sri Lanka
- School of Policy Studies postgraduate international scholarships
- Think Big About Education scholarships
- Think Big about Innovation scholarships
- Think Big About Global Justice postgraduate scholarships
The university is offering a range of scholarships for students from specific regions.
- Beacon scholarships: for students from Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia
- GREAT Ghana: for students from Ghana
- GREAT Kenya: for students from Kenya
- GREAT Nigeria: for students from Nigeria
- GREAT Pakistan: for students from Pakistan
- GREAT Scholarships for Justice and Law: for students from China
- British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM: for students from Mexico and Brazil
Facilities and Services
- Latest IT support.
- Well-equipped University libraries with a large volume of printed books and journals.
- Study spaces.
- Sports facilities: Swimming pools, On-campus and Off-campus, Indoor facilities, Outdoor facilities.
- Social spaces with new bars and food courts are available that are opened for gathering, gossiping, and holding social events.
- Students get First Aid, Mental Health Awareness as well as First Aid training all year round.
- The Supporting Members team remains busy with Disabilities and executes a group for everyone. The Welcome Fair stands for promoting groups and recruiting new members.
The Bristol(SU) is one of the best student unions among UK universities. Bristol SU is called democracy and is ranked number 31among the top 100 organizations. It is a mouthpiece of university students. The student union is active enough from freshers’ week to the alumni night throughout the year. They remain busy with getting student opinions, hearing eagerly to their experiences, organizing debate competitions, elections, future initiatives, creating a sponsorship catalogue, sports clubs and Societies. Therefore, the Research and Evaluation Coordinator executes research projects and looks after surveys, interviews, and so on. Bristol is a city of green. It belongs to calm and lively places with tranquility and serenity. The walkable roads, harbourside, floating bars and restaurants make the surroundings a lot more lively and friendly. It is a melting plot of global learning that values different cultures, languages, religions, and ethnic groups. Therefore, the place is full of creative people, modern media, technology, and aerospace industries. The most interesting Sports nights are organized by the sports clubs channeled over £11,000 of ticket sales back.
The University of Bristol provides University-allocated accommodation. Students can apply to ask for living places and costs. Students make home from home in Bristol and become in love with the place. It is quite challenging to find Private rented accommodation as the city is very popular to live in. Therefore, University-allocated accommodation provides many facilities such as bedrooms along with a bed, wardrobe, desk, chair and task lighting. bookshelves, curtains, mirrors; Kitchens in self-catered residences along with cookers, fridges, freezers, dining table and chairs, storage, cupboards, kettles, ironing board, microwaves, toasters, etc.
Bristol residences are categorized into three villages. North Residential Village has several residences such as Badock Hall, Churchill Hall, Durdham Hall, and so on. East Residential Village and West Residential Village also have many halls such as Chantry Court, Culver House, Dean Street Works, Marlborough House, New Bridewell, and so on.
Courses Offered by University of Bristol
Frequent bus services are available in Bristol. The main Clifton campus and student residences are connected to travel easily by buses. The Bristol Unibus services are operated by First Bus. Besides the bus services, intercity rail connections are available in Bristol city. Bristol Temple Meads and Parkway are the two main train stations. Therefore, common taxi services are available named Diamond Executive Cars, Euro-Taxis, Euro-Coaches, Haywards Travel, School Hopper, and so on. Moreover, Airport Taxi Transfers in Bristol are available for long distance journeys. Bristol to Bristol Airport airport transfer, Bristol to Cardiff Airport airport transfer, London Gatwick Airport to Bristol airport transfer, and so many picks ups are available. Above all, Bristol(SU) launched the ‘Balloon bikes scheme’ to access renting a bike for the academic year.