The University of Sheffield is a public university situated in South Yorkshire, England. It is one of the famous research-oriented universities which aims to grab world-class research. This is the place of commitment of giving a unique student learning experience that shows it’s excellence in the academic field and proves its’ worth. Therefore, The University of Sheffield is a member of the Russell Group and provides expert tutors operated by up-to-date research. For this reason, Sheffield is renowned as a globally reputed university and ranked as the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching. Students from different countries build up a strong global as well as a multicultural community that continuously gives support to the overseas students.
Rankings and Achievements of The University of Sheffield
- The University of Sheffield wins five times Nobel Prizes. Three times prize for Medicine
- Physiology as well as two times prize for Chemistry.
- The Sheffield Institute was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 2019 for its’ outstanding achievement in Translational Neuroscience.
- Secured 23rd position in the Times University Guide 2021.
- Ranked 121st in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
- Secured 93rd position in the QS World University Rankings 2021.
In 1897, The University of Sheffield originated with the amalgamation of the Sheffield Medical School, Firth College, and Sheffield Technical School. William Mitchinson Hicks, the principal of Firth College dreamed off a university in the city and transformed Firth College into a university college. He also added new departments by adding new buildings.In1905, Sheffield was given university status and granted a royal charter by King Edward VII. This was one of the top nine civic as well as red brick universities, established in the major industrial cities of England. ‘To discover the causes of things’ was Sheffields’ ultimate mission. Therefore, the university is a part of the elite Russell Group of universities, the Worldwide Universities Network, the N8 Group of the eight most research-based universities, and the White Rose University associates.
The University of Sheffield belongs to six faculties and every faculty has several subjects. The faculties are as follows:
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities,
- Faculty of Engineering,
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health,
- Faculty of Science,
- Faculty of Social Sciences,
- The International Faculty – CITY College, Thessaloniki.
The famous corresponding academic disciplines are available, For example- Executive
Development Institute, Executive MBA, Accounting and Financial Management,
Oncology and Metabolism, Biochemistry, Infection, Immunity and Cardiovascular
Disease, Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Pharmacology, and so on.
International students – 12.5%
Fee Structure of The University of Sheffield
The international tuition fee is £16,000-18,000
Scholarships of The University of Sheffield
Several scholarships are offered by the University of Sheffield for international students.They are as follows:
- International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2021
- International Baccalaureate Scholarships
- NCUK Merit Scholarships
- NCUK Undergraduate Scholarships
- GEMS Undergraduate Merit Scholarship
- International School of Choueifat Undergraduate Merit Scholarship
- “Delhi Public School Society (DPS) Undergraduate Merit Scholarship”
- External sources of funding
Apart from them, many scholarships are offered for postgraduate study.
- International Postgraduate Taught Merit Scholarship 2021
- Chevening Scholarships
- NCUK Merit Scholarships
- NCUK Postgraduate Taught Scholarships
- “Allan and Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust Masters Scholarships”
- The University of Sheffield Africa Scholarship
- Gaza-Palestine Postgraduate Taught Scholarship
- UKEAS Taiwan Scholarship
- Sir Sze-yuen Chung Scholarship
- “Professor David Locker Scholarship “(Masters in Dental Public Health)
- Additional sources of funding
Moreover, there are some additional sources of funding are available. Such as-
British Chevening Scholarships, International agencies like UNESCO and WHO,
Fulbright Scholarships and Marshall Scholarships for US citizens who are willing to study in
Facilities and Services
- Excellent It supports or computer facilities are available on campus, at home or
elsewhere that creates a virtual learning environment.
- Flexible printing
- Sheffield has four well-equipped libraries where the growing talents get support with inevitable resources. New media, digital works, research materials, free access library account are available on or off- campus.
- Expert tutors and informative research-based workshops.
- Students of growing talents enjoy a first-class athlete and get the opportunities of indoors and outdoors sports facilities.
- The three on-campus venues that are established full of organized events like DJs and bands. The Octagon center is one of them for conferences and music venues.
Sheffield Students’ Union is known as the best student union that represents students. It is awarded the Whatuni Student Choice Award for the fourth following year. This is the place of film screenings, live music, comedy, talks, super-shops, study areas, many food outlets and excellent student activities. Thus, the students of Sheffield are not only given graduation degree with honours but also they are graduated with insight, skills and experience that catch sight of everyone. The students’ union is always remains busy to give the best support to students from freshers’ week to the Alumni night and can ensure happiness and security. The union provides any kind of services related to the course, housing issues, amusements, financial problems, and so on. Therefore, more than 350 clubs and societies are available for students who can get involved with.
Sheffield Volunteering scheme wins an award that allows developing project management skills, leadership, and coaching. Sheffield city is a cultural centre with a strong sense of community. Therefore, it is called England’s safest major city where people from all over the world can stay and live peacefully. The Purple Flag is assigned for city safety. It is also well-known as a green city full of creative people like artists, designers, and national parks.
Sheffield is a mesmerizing place to live. Students from different countries come here and set up home. They fall in love with the place to live and study. Restaurants, outlets and cafes, arts and culture venues, green spaces, hospitals are available in this living place. Therefore, it is the most affordable student-friendly city among the UK’s top ten cities.
The official University accommodation provides a guaranteed and lively environment for the undergraduates and postgraduates students. Household facilities are available within the flats like the catered halls for residence, shared bathrooms, studio apartments, etc. Sometimes parents and visitors can visit the self-catering apartments and stylish hotel rooms like Halifax Hall, Jonas hotel, etc. The Smart Move Sheffield runs by the University of Sheffield. Students get the benefit to find out the perfect home by the SNUG student housing scheme which is a part of Sheffield City Council.
Courses Offered by University of Sheffield
The Supertram is available at the centre of the campus that is an easy way to move from one place to another. the train station plays a major role to move and the high-frequency bus services are available in and around Sheffield. A discounted ticketing scheme provides travel passes that has a significant reduction in on-street prices. Therefore, the University of Sheffield’s car parks, policies, and management provides Parking Services that is completely free of cost for the staff and students in early 2021. Moreover, they are offered the free bike checks facility in the ‘Cycle Hut’.