- Aston University offers the ideal combination of award-winning teaching, world-class facilities, and an excellent student experience all under one roof. Aston’s campus, situated in the heart of Birmingham, is a global village inside one of the UK’s most diverse and multicultural communities.
- Aston University ranks consistently highly in various international league tables. 79% of Aston University’s research was rated “world-leading” or “internationally good” in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021. Other highlights include the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017, the top 100 best ‘Golden Age’ universities in the world, the top 200 in the world (2018 QS Graduate Employability Rankings), and the top 200 in Europe (Times Higher Education European University Rankings 2018).
- The faculties at Aston University include Business, Engineering and Applied Sciences, Languages, Social Sciences, and Health Sciences, and the Medical school, which offer foundational, undergraduate, postgraduate, taught, and research programs. Aston University has more than 11,000 undergraduates and more than 2,000 postgraduate students from over 120 countries.
Aston University is a leading university in the UK for public research. Established in 1966, the university campus is situated in the center of Birmingham on a lush, 60 acre, self-contained site. The University of Aston is a globally recognized hub for education and research activities. Aston University offers the best learning experience with a world-class infrastructure on campus. There are hi-tech labs, libraries, studios, and IT centers, and seminar halls that support advanced knowledge atmosphere. This University is a center for world-leading research projects as well.
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 assessed 78 percent of the university’s research as ‘world-leading’. Aston has established advanced research centres to perform the highest standard of research. For information exchange and joint research projects, the university has teamed up with universities and research institutes around the globe. Aston Business School is one of the world’s top 1% of business schools to hold the “triple crown” accreditation from the most sought-after international accreditations (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS) and the school is consistently highly ranked by the Financial Times and the Economist global rankings.
With a population of approximately 1.2 million people, Birmingham is a vibrant and multicultural area. At present, it hosts the largest number of theaters outside London and has a vibrant film, music and literary scene. From the largest St. Patrick’s Day parade outside Dublin to the largest indoor Christmas Market in the UK, Birmingham also has a strong nightlife and many festivals.
Ranking and Achievements
- Between 401-500 by THE World University Rankings 2023
- 561-570 by QS World University Rankings 2023
- 45th in the Times University Guide 2023
- 22nd in the Guardian University Guide 2023
- 82% employability rating from the Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2018
- 90% International student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2019)
Faculties at Aston University
- Aston Business School
- Aston Law School
- Aston Medical School
- Health and Life Sciences
- School of Engineering & Applied Science
- College of Business and Social Sciences
- School of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Undergraduate – 75%
- Postgraduate – 25%
- Full-time students –78%
- Part-time students –22%
- UK students– 85%
- EU students-2%
- International students –13%
- Female – 48%
- Male –52%
Facilities & Services
In order to provide information and resources to new international students, an International Orientation Programme runs at the beginning of each year. Student volunteers or ‘Aston Aunties’ help meet and greet students at particular times at the beginning of each academic year as they arrive at Birmingham Airport and help them adapt to the new culture and interactions awaiting them.
The Learning Development Centre (LDC) provides academic advice and support. LDC offers one-to-one and group tutorials where personal tutors offer help, support and guidance.
Breakdown of the Fee Structure
International fee range: £13,900-19,950
Aston University Scholarships
Aston University is committed to helping the most creative and hard-working students by offering a variety of scholarships to help minimize tuition and living costs to achieve their potential. There are range of different Aston University scholarships available at both undergraduate and postgraduate level for both EU and international students.
A brand new Students’ Union building was established in 2019 which has social and event spaces including the lounge, coffee shop, and restaurants. In order to serve, assist and advise students, Aston University SU has different services. There are numerous student clubs that organize sports meetings, music festivals, dance contests, literary festivals, art exhibits, and other events at the Aston University.
All of these activities include cross-disciplinary participation that helps students create team spirits. Birmingham has one of the liveliest nightlife in the world as well as pubs, music venues and restaurants. It is one of the most vibrant cities in the United Kingdom and home to an unrivalled cultural heritage, top sports and performing arts activities.
Aston University guarantees university campus accommodation for students in their first year of study given they book accommodation by the deadline on the website.
Aston University’s campus features 3,000 en-suite suites in the centre of Birmingham which located within a five-minute walk from the main university buildings and Birmingham city centre. All campus accommodation facilities include launderettes, satellite television lounges, 24-hour library and numerous cafes, pubs and restaurants.
There is an extensive network of local transport provided by buses, trams and railways. Birmingham is well served by coaches to locations across the UK. Birmingham International Airport is a major gateway with destinations throughout the UK and internationally, 8 miles from the city centre.
Located in the heart of Birmingham, the Aston University campus is on a beautiful, 60-acre land that is only about ten minutes away from the city’s prime shopping, industry, and entertainment areas.
Where can I find the nearest airport to Aston University?
The airport that is located most conveniently to Aston University is Birmingham International Airport.
Is it difficult to enrol at Aston University?
With an acceptance rate of approximately 82.5%, Aston University is consistently ranked as one of the most accessible universities in the United Kingdom.
Is Aston a respectable educational institution?
To sum up, Aston University is a solid choice for higher education. The lecturers have a great deal of experience and expertise in the fields that they teach.
What is it that Aston University is most well-known for?
Aston University is one of the best in the United Kingdom for business and technical fields, and it is widely praised for its safe, exciting, and diverse campus community and cutting-edge academic programmes.
What is the ranking of Aston University in the UK?
The Guardian University Guide 2023 places Aston University at number 22 in the United Kingdom.