The Benefits of AI
- Artificial intelligence degrees allow computer scientists to specialize in technology, enabling them to build smart, self-learning machines that replicate human thought processes.
- Obtaining an MSC Masters Degree in Artificial Intelligence (AI) expands the scientist or engineer’s acumen and technical skills in various technologies such as machine learning, business intelligence, deep learning, natural language processing, and neural networks.
- With the launch of self-driving cars and software platforms that can make accurate financial projections, AI is gradually becoming ubiquitous in various industry verticals.
- It is a continuously evolving field with great employment and research opportunities in the UK and worldwide.
- AI experts can enable organizations with capabilities that draw in information from other fields, such as mathematics, logic, cognitive science, neuroscience, and linguistics, to create systems and integrations that enhance decision-making processes and facilitate product/service improvements.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial Intelligence, or AI, officially became a field of research in 1956 when American computer and cognitive scientist John McCarthy coined the term to separate the field from cybernetics.
AI refers to technology and systems replicating or simulating human thought processes. It combines programming, mechanical integrations and sensory proxies. Machines enabled with AI can mimic human cognition by analyzing large amounts of continuously generated data. These machines find patterns in data and make predictions and actions based on those insights. Some prime examples of AI technology applications include self-driving vehicles, video game design, and predictive models for criminal, financial, and statistical fields.
An Artificial Intelligence in MSC from a UK university creates specialists well-versed in the technology required to build such machines and platforms. The degree also provides grounding in related subjects such as data science, analytics, and machine learning.
Artificial Intelligence MSc and Fee Structure
Many universities across the UK offer an MSc in Artificial Intelligence. While most universities offer the program on-campus, there are some educational institutes, such as the University of Bath’s online Artificial Intelligence MSc. The MSc program is typically year-long on a full-time basis. It will take up to 2 years for prospective students who already have jobs or want to pursue them part-time to graduate.
The average tuition fees for an artificial intelligence MSc from a UK university range between £10,000 and £20,000. In some universities, students can expect to pay £40,000+ per academic year.
What Does Artificial Intelligence Entail?
Artificial Intelligence MSc degrees are designed for STEM graduates with prior degrees or training in mathematics, programming, and other computer science and IT subjects. It is a highly competitive degree that immerses students in various technologies.
When you study AI, you get to learn how to use tools such as Deep Neural and Recurrent Neural Networks along with Deep Reinforcement Learning. It involves exploring new, state-of-the-art technologies and concepts that draw on new research to build computers that can “think”.
AI specialists can build machine learning algorithms that enable organizations across various industries to automate some processes and make data-backed decisions. Upon graduation, you will be an AI engineer with skills that enable you to:
- Develop, test, and deploy AI models and expert systems for various applications in healthcare, finance, medicine, urban planning, government, military, and information technology;
- Specialize in data science and architecture, developing and automating data ingestion and transformation infrastructure;
- Make meaning out of data obtained through multiple sources, performing statistical analyses and inferring meaningful results that allow decision-makers and users to make well-informed decisions;
- Pursue further academic progress through research by obtaining a Ph.D.
When Should You Consider Taking Artificial Intelligence?
An artificial intelligence MSc opens doors to many career and research opportunities in the UK and other countries where technology and IT development are thriving.
Undergrads with degrees in computer sciences or fields close to computer science, software engineering, data science, statics, etc., looking to specialize in a subject that enables them to facilitate developments that synthesize information like human brains do.
You should consider getting an Artificial Intelligence MSc if you have an interest in discovering how machines, which are man-made, can be enabled to make decisions that are meant to be sounder.
UK Universities for Artificial Intelligence
Here are a few UK universities offering an MSc in Artificial Intelligence to both UK and international students:
Queen Mary University of London
QMUL’s MSc has been developed with the assistance and support of the Institute of Coding. UK and international students can apply for the degree full-time or part-time, taking one and two years to complete, respectively.
The program allows students to work with the latest technologies and access cutting-edge AI research at QMUL and other institutes. You’ll get to develop practical programming, machine learning, data mining, deep learning, and natural language processing skills in five core areas, including:
Imperial College London
ICL’s postgraduate programs include an Artificial Intelligence MSc that is highly rigorous and involves intensive training in the fundamentals of AI.
The degree is specifically designed for those without previous training or education in computer sciences. Students engage in classroom courses, participate in group and individual projects, and specialize in five optional modules exploring AI in depth.
In addition to those, you’ll be engaged in courses such as:
- AI, Privacy, and Ethics
- Machine learning
- Symbolic AI
- Python Programming
- And more.
University of Edinburgh
An MSc in Artificial Intelligence is one of the leading programs offered in the UK as it is taught at an institute considered the longest-established Centre for Artificial Intelligence in the United Kingdom. Students are taught by leading academics, researchers, and industry experts, providing practical acumen and building technical skills AI engineers require to build and deploy AI systems.
The program is quite competitive and requires candidates to complete a programming course in at least one language, Python or Java. Talk to us today if an Artificial Intelligence MSc seems the way forward for your academic and professional career. We will assist you in finding the right program and through the application process.