Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University welcomes over 24,000 students from some 80 countries to study with us. We are situated in Birmingham, the UK’s second-largest city with a population of around one million people. It is the youngest city in Europe, with under-25s accounting for 40 percent of its population. Birmingham was named by travel publisher Rough Guides as one of the Top 10 Cities to visit in 2015 and has been ranked as the ninth most cost-effective city for students in the UK.
The University is mid-way through a £260 million investment programme, renovations include four industry-standard TV studios with the latest Sony equipment, a ‘green screen’ MILO studio, a 500-seat concert hall, a fully-functional radiography suite, a 3D imaging diagnostic suite and an 80-station fitness suite.
In line with our transforming campus, we have also transformed our curriculum with almost 350 contemporary, flexible courses, with practice-based learning and international opportunities built into every stage. Courses include Art, the Built Environment, Business, Computing, Design, Education, Engineering, Health, Law, Life Sciences, Media and Social Sciences.
We have professional accreditation from organisations including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), British Psychological Society (BPS) and Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Our New Technology Institute (Gamer Camp) is a member of the Sony Academic Alliance, PlayStation First and we are one of only five universities in Europe to be developing on PlayStation 4.
Our 1,700 teaching staff come from industry, ensuring you benefit directly from their knowledge and contacts. We work with Microsoft, Cisco and Jaguar Land Rover. All students have the chance to gain industry and professional practice experience through work placements, Erasmus years abroad and sandwich courses. If you want to earn while you learn you can join our student employment agency ‘OpportUNIty’ which helps you find paid part-time work.
At the heart of it, all is our student support system. Our student enquiry service, Ask, brings together our student support within a single enquiry service. In addition to Ask, there is the Centre for Academic Success which provides all students with access to a range of academic support services to help develop their study skills, including report writing, revision techniques, stress management, English language and numeracy.
In summary, Birmingham City University is a large, diverse and increasingly popular place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving you the best opportunities for future success.
Type of Courses
- Art and Design
- Built Environment
- Social Sciences
Schools or Faculties
- Faculty of Art, Design and Media
- Faculty of Business, Law and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health, Education and Life Sciences
Job Prospects & Employability
At Birmingham City University, we’ve been launching careers since 1843, and we’re dedicated to ensuring our students develop the skills employers need. Six months after graduating, 94 per cent of our graduates were in employment or further study. (DLHE survey 2014/15)
Our graduates gain an advantage in the job market because:
- We work with companies like Microsoft, Cisco and Cartier to develop cutting-edge curriculums and to collaborate on course projects.
- We attract the best staff – including both academic experts and experienced business leaders with the latest knowledge and industry contacts.
- We offer students opportunities for work placements, Erasmus years and sandwich courses.
- We operate an ‘employer mentoring scheme’, which gives second and third year students the chance to learn from employers or successful alumni.
- £1500 scholarship for January intake.
- £2,000 if a 1st degree holder
- £1,500 if a 2:1 degree holder
- £1,000 if a 2:2 degree holder
- £500 if a 3rd degree holder
What we provide
The Careers and Job Prospects service aims to help develop and improve the employability of our students and graduates. We provide specialist one-to-one advice, careers management sessions and employment activities covering:
- Reviewing CVs, covering letters and application forms
- Career planning and decision making
- Options with a subject/degree
- Preparing for interviews and assessment centres
- Developing portfolios
- Networking with employers
- Advice about self-employment and entrepreneurship
- Postgraduate Study