Students from all over the world aspire to study in the UK. Universities in the UK have one of the most diverse student bodies having around 500 thousand International students every year. International students can pursue either their Undergraduate degree or Master’s degree from an acclaimed university in the UK.
The UK promises to provide international students with rich and promising experience. Studying in the UK means earning degrees and qualifications recognised by academics and employers worldwide. You will also graduate from the programme with the knowledge and skills needed to secure a good job.
If you want to enrol in a university in the UK to further your education, it is pertinent to know if you meet the requirements to study in the UK. Today, we will cover the following these topics:
- Things you need to know about studying in the UK
- The requirements to study in the UK
Here’s What You Need to Know about Studying in a University in the UK
- You can select from more than 50,000 courses in around 80 subject areas.
- The UK is home to over 390 universities and colleges.
- You need to submit your university application through the University site, or through the University representative or through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) portal.
- You need to submit your university application before the deadline. Different universities and programmes have different deadlines and key dates, so make a note of it.
- The tuition fees vary from university to university and also depend on the course. It might be possible for you to obtain financial aid with your tuition fees or you can consider applying for a scholarship.
- Your living expenses will differ based on where you choose to study. For instance, it is more expensive to study in larger cities such as London than in smaller cities.
- Most international students are required to apply for a visa to enrol in a university in the UK. They will need to abide by certain work permit restrictions which is 20 hours during the term time and need to meet certain English language qualifications.
- Your respective university will inform you on the English language proficiency required for certain courses. If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to take an approved English language test such as IELTS and Pearson test However, If you have studied in English or your higher secondary exam has good marks, University may exempt you from the English requirements. Some of the University also organise Internal English test which will give you opportunity to test yourself in order to get English requirements exemption.
- Most cases first-year students will be provided with university accommodation, but other accommodation options are available.
The Requirements to Study in the UK
Read the following to learn the requirements of studying in the UK:
Improve Your English Language Proficiency
The UK requires international students whose first language isn’t English to take an English language course in the UK before they can enrol in their choice of programme. You can take a pre-sessional course or English for academic purposes (EAP) course.
However, most international students choose to take an English language proficiency test such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) in their home country before travelling to the UK to further their education.
IELTS tests you in four critical areas: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. More than 1,000 educational institutions in the UK recognise IELTS. The test is available in more than 120 countries. The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) is another English proficiency test that you can take.
PTE Academic is an online test administered at Pearson testing centres. The PTE Academic test tests your skill in the same four areas as IELTS. Over 100 educational institutions in the UK recognise this test.
Entry Requirements for International Undergraduate Students
- Finished at least 13 years of education from your home country or the UK.
- Pre-university qualifications are equivalent to UK A-levels, National Diplomas, or Scottish Highers.
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- Qualifications are equivalent to two Scottish Highers, one or two UK A-levels, or a BTEC National Diploma or a Higher National Certificate or an International foundation year. You also need an overall IELTS score of 5.5 to 6.0.
- Foundation Degree
- Qualifications are equivalent to one or two Scottish Highers, one or two UK A-levels, or a BTEC National Diploma or a Higher National Certificate or an International foundation year. You also need an overall IELTS score of 5 to 5.5.
- Diploma of Higher Education Degree
- Qualifications are equivalent to three or four Scottish Highers, two or three UK A-levels, or a BTEC National Diploma or a Higher National Certificate or an International foundation year. You also need an overall IELTS score of 6.0 to 6.5.
- Bachelor Degree
If student has got results in their higher secondary, A level or successful completion of foundation year, students can also join to three years bachelor degree in the UK. In this case you need an overall IELTS of 6 to 6.5.
Entry Requirements for International Postgraduate Students
- Have an undergraduate degree from a UK educational institution or abroad.
- Need to have obtained an international equivalent or a 2:1 ratio in a subject directly related to the postgraduate programme.
- In the English part of the IELTS test, you need to score at least 6.5.
- Pre-Master’s Programme
- Undergraduate degree.
- An IELTS score of 5.5 to 6
- PG Cert/PG Dip
- Undergraduate degree or a Pre-Master’s course.
- An IELTS score of 6 to 7 (depending on the University)
- Master’s Degree
- Have an upper second class or first undergraduate degree or a Pre-Master’s degree.
- An IELTS score of 6 to 7 (depending on the University).
- First undergraduate degree.
- Two to three years of business experience.
- An IELTS score of 6.5 to 7.0.
- Master’s degree
- An IELTS score of 6.5 to 7.0.
If you want to study in the UK, but need expert guidance and assistance to apply to your desired educational institution, AHZ Associates can help. We offer free student consultation and aim to make the entire admission process seamless.
Our experts can help you find the right university in the UK to further your career goals, inform you about the various types of courses in the UK, and assist you throughout the application submission process to ensure you submit all documents with the correct information.
If you have a question for our experts regarding any of our free services, you can contact us via our website or request a call back to speak with one of our representatives.